Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB - Date of discharge

trin1054

Morning all,

I have the SWB roll for a relative which says that he was discharged 17/4/1919 from 34th Brigade RFA.

This seems to me a strange time to be discharged due to wounds. Am I right in thinking that he would have been most likely wounded in, say, 1918 but not confirmed as unfit for further service til 1919?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Marc

Hi Marc,

It could be that or he could have been serving with a unit in seeing action in Russia in 1919.

Mark

Morning all,

I have the SWB roll for a relative which says that he was discharged 17/4/1919 from 34th Brigade RFA.

This seems to me a strange time to be discharged due to wounds. Am I right in thinking that he would have been most likely wounded in, say, 1918 but not confirmed as unfit for further service til 1919?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Marc

Marc,

It was quite usual for the discharge of wounded men, particularly those with 'slow to heal' wounds to be many months after their wounding, as the process of discharge from the services would only be completed after the medical boards etc. had done their work. Only then could the degree of residual disability and any pension, which was awarded from discharge be assessed.

Regards

Steve

Mark - very interesting idea, thanks for that. I had a lookhere but the 34th Brigade didn't appear so I think it's unlikely to be the case.

Steve - many thanks for that, I hadn't considered the administrative time this kind of thing would take. Does his SWB mean that he may well have received a pension? (In which case I'll look it up)

Thanks again chaps - you've been most helpful!