Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli battles July 11-13, 1915

David_Bluestein

Can anyone shed some light on the British attacks on Gallipoli between the 11th and 13th of July 1915. Particularly the activities of the 1/7th Bn. Highland Light Infantry (TF).

(I am researching a member of this battalion who spent these three days bringing in dozens of wounded soldiers from No-Mans land under a great deal of shell fire.)

Further, if I may please, does the 1/7th Bn. Highland Light Infantry (TF) have a published regimental History? Has anyone got access to the War Diaries for this day?

There does not seem to be much available in the books I have seen, and maybe because these attacks were not considered as significant as those of June 4th, or Aug 6th etc.?

Looking very forward to hear from anyone who may have some insight.

Thank you in advance for your help,

David

David,

Ray Westlake's "British Regiments at Gallipoli" has the foll:

"Relieved the 1/5th Highland Light Infantry in firing line (11th July 1915). Took part in attack on Trenches F12 and E10 (12th Jul). Advanced under heavy shrapnel, machine gun and rifle fire. Objectives taken and gains consolidated. War Diary notes that consolidation was difficult due to the number of dead and wounded in trenches. Came under heavy enfilade fire during morning (13th July) and retreated to Parsons Road. Men rallied, charged and re-took their positions. Relieved (15th Jul) and to rest camp at Pink Farm. Casualties (12th-13th July) - Officers: Captain W. H. Gandy, Lieutenants W. B. Galbraith, G. Dickson. G. H. Weller, Second-Lieutenants A. J. McKersie, H. G. Russell killed or died of wounds; 2 wounded. Other ranks: 40 killed, 149 wounded, 53 missing."

(note the mention of a War Diary)

regards

Michael

Very good thanks for that Michael, helps quite a bit. Gives a good overview of the action to be sure.

Found this on the internet on a Glasgow related web-site:

The 1/7th (Blythswood) Battalion Highland Light Infantry leaving their headquarters in Main Street, Bridgeton, November 1914. The battalion served with the 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division at Gallipoli and in Egypt, Palestine, France and Belgium during the First World War.

post-106-1159367128.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on the British attacks on Gallipoli between the 11th and 13th of July 1915. Particularly the activities of the 1/7th Bn. Highland Light Infantry (TF).

(I am researching a member of this battalion who spent these three days bringing in dozens of wounded soldiers from No-Mans land under a great deal of shell fire.)

Further, if I may please, does the 1/7th Bn. Highland Light Infantry (TF) have a published regimental History? Has anyone got access to the War Diaries for this day?

There does not seem to be much available in the books I have seen, and maybe because these attacks were not considered as significant as those of June 4th, or Aug 6th etc.?

Looking very forward to hear from anyone who may have some insight.

Thank you in advance for your help,

David

David, For the full story you should get hold of the Official History. Far from being an unimportant action the HO devotes a full chapter (Chapter VIII) to the Action Of Achi Baba Nullah with quite a lot of detail about 157 Bde and 1/7 HLI.

H2

David, For the full story you should get hold of the Official History. Far from being an unimportant action the HO devotes a full chapter (Chapter VIII) to the Action Of Achi Baba Nullah with quite a lot of detail about 157 Bde and 1/7 HLI.

H2

Thanks for that advice; What Official History do you refer?

Regards,

David

Thanks for that advice; What Official History do you refer?

Regards,

David

Official History of the Great War - Military Operations - Gallipoli - Volume II by Brigadier General CF Aspinall-Oglander.

The official history is available as a reprint and should be easy to obtain through a library if you don't wish to purchase a volume (they usually come as a pair in the reprint. The author is Br-Gen Aspinall-Oglander.

Those fluent in Turkish may like to know that an inexpensive Turkish translation is widely available as a paperback in Turkey!

Thanks Horatio and Martin for that information. I will try and track down a copy of this book, sounds like a good one to check.

Best wishes,

David