Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt RFC

mhifle

I just came across this MIC. It states "Died of exhaustion around 24/1/18". Does anyone know what this would actually indicate as cause of death, has anyone seen this comment before on a MIC.

Thanks Mark

post-14045-1159360741.jpg

Unusually, this officer has two entries in "Officers Died in the Great War".

One gives his unit as Royal Flying Corps with the supplementary note "CAMERON HRS". This entry says he was Killed in Action on 24.1.18.

The other entry gives his unit as the Cameron Highlanders with no battalion shown, and the supplementary note, "ATT RFC". This entry has the same date of death, but the cause is given as "Died".

In both entries his rank is given as Lieutenant.

Tom

Two entries in Officers died is normal in the case of officers attached to the RFC. It is also common for officers attached or transferred to the Tank Corps.

By the way, no, I've never seen that entry on an MIC before.

Capt Caldwell is noted in Sky Their Battlefield on 12 Jan 1918 as flying a Spad 7 with 63 Sqn and forced to land in desert. It says 'his mutilated and naked body was found after being left by Arabs to die of exposure'

Perhaps his body was not found for some time hence the later date in MIC

Regards

John

It sounds like Capt Caldwell came to a very unpleasant, not to say gruesome end. I believe right into the 50s, at least, pilots were given "goolie chits" when flying over such countries to try to ensure they came back with their privates intact. The compiler of the MIC was being polite, I suggest. Phil B

I think it was a Chit in Arabic saying something like 100 gold pieces if this person returned alive with everything intact.

Thanks for all the information guys.

Mark

What is a Goolie Chit? I mean how could a "chit" save your Goolies?

Red

I have a copy of my fathers RAF General Service handbook from the 1930,s. It gives advice on every situation an air force officer might have come across. In one section, having crash landed in the desert and being approached by hostile tribesman it gives advice that on throwing oneself to the ground, grasping hold of the tribesmans gown, an important point that, and shouting a certain formula meant you had thrown yourself on his mercy and protection, whereupon he was honour bound to protect you. It lmakes the dry comment that a european officer should only do this as a very last resort, the thought of an English Officer begging protection from an Arab tribesman was really too horrible to contemplate!! Better really to have them cut off !!!

I had a look at his service papers yesterday; WO 339/21818.

On a minute sheet recording the report of his death are the following three entries: -

20.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Previously reported missing now reported missing believed prisoner of war, 19.1.18.

25.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Previously reported missing believed prisoner of war, now reported missing 12.1.18.

31.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Body of Lieut JH Caldwell RFC missing since 12.1.18 found near Daur 27.1.18. Medical Officer certifies died of exposure, probably three days previously. Body well nourished no sign of violence but stripped. Probably escaped from Arabs.

Furtther details follow if received.

He is buried in the Baghdad (North Gate) War Cemetery. I was wondering what condition the War Cemetery

is in at the moment? Does anyone have any photo,s of the place?

Mark

Name: CALDWELL, JOHN HAY

Initials: J H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Secondary Regiment: Cameron Highlanders

Secondary Unit Text: and

Date of Death: 24/01/1918

Additional information: Son of Mr. W. H. Caldwell, of Morar Lodge, Morar, Inverness-shire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 9.

Cemetery: BAGHDAD (NORTH GATE) WAR CEMETERY

I had a look at his service papers yesterday; WO 339/21818.

On a minute sheet recording the report of his death are the following three entries: -

20.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Previously reported missing now reported missing believed prisoner of war, 19.1.18.

25.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Previously reported missing believed prisoner of war, now reported missing 12.1.18.

31.1.18, 3rd Ech Basra, PG 14587. Body of Lieut JH Caldwell RFC missing since 12.1.18 found near Daur 27.1.18. Medical Officer certifies died of exposure, probably three days previously. Body well nourished no sign of violence but stripped. Probably escaped from Arabs.

Furtther details follow if received.

Fascinating post guys, thanks for the image of the 'Goolie chit' had never heard of this before.

Barrie