Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GALLIPOLI PENINSULA - APRIL 1915 - HOW COME GREAT UNCLE WAS THERE

Moriaty

Can anyone help solve a mystery about my great uncle in Gallipoli in April 1915?

A letter from my grandmother dated 27 April 1915 said that her brother Dick (Richard Martin Peter Preston) was fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula.

My researches indicate that Great Uncle Dick was in the Honorable Artillery Company and later in the Royal Horse Artillery (he was later a Major in the RHA and awarded the DSO and Bar), but I cant work whether he was actually in Gallipoli or whether Granny had got it wrong! If he was there, what fighting would he have been involved in?

He subsequently wrote a book "The Desert Mounted Corps - an account of the cavalry operations in Palestine and Syria 1917-1918" published by Houghton & Miflin, Boston, 1923

Any thoughts would be most gratefully received!

Moriaty

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Sep 27 2006, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Highly unlikely that granny could have known about fighting on Gallipoli by 27th April? Phil B

Sorry, but I don't agree.

The Times newspaper first published details of the landings on Tuesday April 27th, so Granny could have known all about it when writing her letter.

Steve

Moriaty

Have you tried his Service Records at the NA, Kew?

This looks like his: WO339/5892 - Preston, R M P, Lieut-Col Hon. 1910-1919

Link to the reference is Here

Hope this helps.

Steve

He was H.A.C. in 1913:

London Gazette 16-9-1913

War Office,

16th September, 1913.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

HONOURABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.

Captain the Honourable Richard M. P. Preston to be Major. Dated 22nd July, 1913.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

His earlier promotions:

LG 19-1-1904

War Office, Pall Mall,

19th January, 1904.

ROYAL REGIMENT OF ARTILLERY.

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery,

The undermentioned Gentlemen Cadets, from the Royal Military Academy, to be Second Lieutenants.

Dated 23rd December, 1903:—

The Honourable Richard Martin Peter Preston.

LG 4-1-1907

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery, Major

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants, under the provisions of Article 29, Royal Warrant, 19th March, 1906. Dated 23rd December, 1906 :

Honourable Richard M. P. Preston.

LG 1-9-1908

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery, Lieutenant The Honourable Richard M. P. Preston resigns his Commission. Dated 2nd September,

LG 16-12-1910

War Office,

16th December, 1910.

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

HONOURABLE ARTILLERY COMPANY.

Second Lieutenant The Honourable Richard M. P. Preston to be Captain.

Dated 17th December, 1910.

Promotion to Lt Col:

LG 22-12-1917

The undermentioned to be actg. Lt.-Cols.:

Maj. the Hon. R. M. P. Preston, D.S.O., T.F. 5th Oct. 1917.

LG 19-10-1921

TERRITORIAL ARMY RESERVE.

Regimental List.

R.A. Lt.-Col. Hon. R. M. P. Preston, D.S.O., from, "B" Bty., H.A.C., to be Lt.-Col. (11th (H.A.C. & City of Lond. Yeo.) Bde.), R.H.A. 20th Oct. 1921.

His D.S.O.:

LG 4-6-1917

TO BE COMPANIONS OF THE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER.

Maj. The Hon. Richard Martin Peter Preston, H.A.C.

LG 27-10-1917

Awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order.

The Hon. Richard Martin Peter Preston, D.S.O.,R.H.A. (frmly. H.A.C.).

(D.S.O. gazetted 4th June, 1917.)

Details in the Gazette aren't great evidence to rely on, but the D.S.O. refers to him in the H.A.C. and the Bar as formerly, as if he transferred some time in 1917. Maybe reading too much into it. A Google search suggests that one of the D.S.O.s had originally been a V.C. recommendation, by the way.

Steve.

Sorry, but I don't agree.

The Times newspaper first published details of the landings on Tuesday April 27th, so Granny could have known all about it when writing her letter.

Steve

But not time for granny to have got a letter informing her that her brother was fighting there? Phil B

Steve, as ever i'm in awe over your ability to extract information from the Gazette, how about a master class sometime for us lesser mortals?

Jerry

He seems to have been Mentioned in Despatches several times. My list of MID links is stranded on a backup drive whilst my home PC is being repaired, but if you can track him down as having an MID on the "Gallipoli lists" then it would suggest he was actually there...

He has at least 3 MID cards under R M P Preston on the NA website.

By the way, what does his campaign medals medal card say about his first theatre of war and date of entry?

Steve.

Jerry,

I was considering a Master Class. Then my (new) computer crashed - fatally.

I'll see about it when I'm back up and running....

Steve.

Thank you to everyone for all of their information about Great Uncle Dick, I never knew he had such an illustrious military career (I just remember him as a very elderly gent), so I will obviously have to start doing some serious research.

Regarding Granny's letter about her brother fighting on the Gallipoli Peninsula, she always said she had second sight, so maybe that's how she knew about it!

Moriaty

Moriarty

you may wish to contact our forum Pal

'rflory' who has a data base of over 53,000 RA officers

He may well have the answer to your Gallipoli question

and some others

regards

Michael

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Sep 27 2006, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But not time for granny to have got a letter informing her that her brother was fighting there? Phil B

Why a letter?, there were other methods of communication, how else did the newspapers find out? ;)

Steve

Steve

Captain Warren Murland MiD 15.5.17 North Irish Horse - can't find it. Will I actually find what he was MiD for in the 'Despatches' if so where do I find them?

Jerry

Steve

Captain Warren Murland MiD 15.5.17 North Irish Horse - can't find it. Will I actually find what he was MiD for in the 'Despatches' if so where do I find them?

Jerry

Jerry

London Gazette #30072, dated 15th May 1917.....

CAVALRY (SPECIAL RESERVE).

IRISH HORSE.

Russell, Maj. Hon. A. H.

Waring, Maj. H.

Hughes, Capt. T. W. G. J.

Murland, Capt. W.

Downey, No. 41 Squad. Serjt.-Maj. R. J.

Rodman, No. 1254 Serjt. R. B.

Rutherford, No. 1293 Lee.-Corpl. H.

Cooper, No. 1126 Pte. R.

Link to the Gazette is Here

Hope it helps.

Steve

Why a letter?, there were other methods of communication, how else did the newspapers find out? ;)

Steve

Anything`s possible Steve. But you must agree a little unlikely that granny would have a communications system to rival Reuters? Phil B

Steve/Stebie9173

Thanks for all the info about Great Uncle Dick Preston, what I cant quite understand is why is appears on the Australian War Memorial database of "Australians serving with the Imperial Forces." He was Irish, not Australian....

Moriaty

Don't know for sure but I suspect he was attached to the Australian forces in Palestine during his time there?

My knowledge of Cavalry operations in Palestine is sketchy to say the least, but the Australian Light Horse played a key role in the conflict, and it wouldn't surprise me that he had some connection with them, at least considering the title of the book he wrote...

Steve.

A large number of the AIF were not actually Australians, over 20% were Brits, Canadians etc reflecting the emigration trends of the day. My Gt. Uncle who was British appears on the Australian Lone Pine Memorial in Gallipoli and in the 15th Battalion AIF that fought in Gallipoli around 30 were other nationalities.

Jerry