Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal auction

Roy Evans

A report from this evening’s Wolverhampton ‘Express and Star’

“£178,000 is paid for medals of VC hero

A Great War hero’s military medals, which include the Victoria Cross, fetched a world-record £178,000 in auction.

First World War Commander, later Major-General, Daniel Beak was also awarded the Distinguished service Order and two Military Crosses for gallantry while commanding Drake Battalion, Royal Naval Division.

A total of 12 medals belonging to Major-General Beak went under the hammer at London auction house Spink’s with the set estimated to be worth £20,000 without the elite VC honour. The previous record price was £138,000, also set at Spink’s. The figures include buyer’s premium.

Major-General Beak, who died in 1967, held up the German Army for four days during the Great War.

The famed leading officer earned the VC for various acts of heroism rather than one single act.

His battalion won strong praise from former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

There are only 15 Victoria Cross holders still alive today and 29 surviving George Cross recipients.”

Anyone here bought them?

I understand that the group were sold by his family and were bought by a dealer on behalf of a private UK collector - obviously not short of a penny!

The medals consisted of:

VC

DSO

MC and Bar

1914-1915 Star

1914-1918 BWM

1914-1918 Victory Medal and MID

1939-1945 Star

Africa Star, with 8th Army Bar

War Medal and MID

1935 Jubilee

1937 Coronation

1953 Coronation

Marc

Guest Jeff Floyd

Sounds like Lord Ashcroft found some more pocket change under his sofa cushions.

But, as in any auction, there was someone right there as underbidder. I think I was about 177,900 pounds short.

I thought that you would like to know what Douglas Jerrold had to say on Beak, in his history 'The Royal Naval Division.'

'As usual, the Division owed much to the different battalion commanders, whose cool and daring handling of their battalions during August and September (1918) operations had been one of the most memorable features. Commander Beak had been awarded the Victoria Cross for his magnificent leadership in the earlier battles, culminating in the attack on the Drocourt-Queant line; and his subsequent battles were not less remarkable..............'

and in a foot note he gives

'The official account of Commander Beak's exploits, which relates to the engagements of August 21st, August 24th-25th and September 2nd-3rd, is as follows:-

T/Commander D. M. W. Beak, D.S.O., M.C., R.N.V.R.

For most conspicuous bravery, courageous leadership and devotion to duty during a prolonged period of operations.

He led his men in attack, and despite heavy machine-gun fire, four enemy positions were captured. His skilful and fearless leadership resulted in the complete success of this operation and enabled other battalions to reach their objectives.

Four days later, though dazed by a shell fragment, in the absence of the brigade commander, he reorganized the whole brigade under extremely heavy gun fire, and led his men with splendid courage to their objective.

An attack having been held up, he rushed forward, accompanied by only one runner, and succeeded in breaking up a nest of machine-guns, personally bringing back nine or ten prisoners. His fearless example instilled courage and confidence into his men, who then quickly resumed the advance under his leadership.

On a subsequent occasion he displayed great courage and powers of leadership in attack, and his initiative, coupled with the confidence with which he inspired all ranks, not only enabled his own and neighbouring unit to advance, but contributed very materially to the success of the Naval Division in these operations.'

Regards

Michael D.R.

In the notes to his military biography of Brig-General A. M. Asquith DSO., "Command in the Royal Naval Division," Capt. Christopher Page wrote of Beak as follows:

"D. M. W. Beak was a truly heroic figure. A native of Salisbury he was promoted from Ordinary Seaman in May 1915, commissioned in to Drake Battalion. He received the MC for gallantry during the battle of 13th November 1916, and a Bar at Gavrelle. As Commanding Officer of Drake, his courage and leadership of desperate rearguard actions during the early days of the retreat before the massive German onslaughts of March 1918 earned him the DSO.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his brilliant work and valour over an extended period during the advance to victory in the last weeks of the war."

Ordinary Seaman to General: a rare breed indeed

I hope that the new owner enjoys his purchase

however there should be no mistake

there is no price to valour, a quality which cannot be bought!

Regards

Michael D.R.

Commander D. M. W. Beak, V.C., D.S.O., M.C., R.N.V.R. (Drake Battalion)

from a portrait by Ambrose McEvoy in the possession of the Imperial War Museum

post-8-1068457335.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

Trivia?

By coincidence my reading at the moment is the novel 'Richer Dust - A story of Gallipoli' by Stanton Hope [ex Lieutenant W. E. S. Hope RNVR., Drake Battalion, RND] and last night I came across the following which I feel can only be a reference to Beak

"At one corner on his way down the Turks put over a shrapnel strafe, and he took temporary shelter in the R.N.D. dump where, in his general irritation and annoyance, he tried to pick a quarrel with the sub-lieutenant in charge. The rather cherubic-looking officer, a new arrival, replied with the soft words which are reputed to turn away wrath, but in this case only increased Rodney's irritation. Leaving the dump after the strafe he moaned to himself about the sort of officer being sent out to the Division, which showed that like many more people he was not always able to see the infinite possibilities in his fellow-men. Certainly, it never remotely occurred to him that the quiet-mannered officer of the dump would help valiantly in shaping the history of the R.N. Division and himself ship the ribbons of the V.C., D.S.O., and M.C."

Regards

Michael D.R.

Might be worth adding that that Beak was commanding the British troops on Malta in 1942 as a Major General, but voluntarily took a step down in rank so that he could command a brigade of the 50th Northumbrian Division in the Tunisian campaign.

Charles M

Many thanks for adding that Charles,

I'm afraid that Beak's WWII service is a bit of a mystery to me, however prompted by yours above, I have found that Beak commanded the 151 Brigade of 50 Division and come across mention of him at Wadi Zigzaou [in the Mareth Line, 20/21 March 1943] where alas the elements were against him.

"There was only superficial gain because in churning their way across the second batch of tanks made it impossible for any vehicle or, especially anti-tank gun to follow them. This was fatal. Early next afternoon 15 Panzer put in a vicious counter-attack, eliminating 30 Valentines and thrusting 151 Brigade back to the verge of the wadi. By 0200 hours on the 22nd and Montgomery saw that he had been foiled. The assault troops-such as survived-were withdrawn, 151 Brigade was commanded by a VC, Brigadier Beak, and during this abortive action it acquired another, awarded to Lieut.-Colonel Seagrim."

from 'Montgomery as Military Commander' by Ronald Lewin

Regards

Michael D.R.