Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge Certificate: Army Order 265/17 Para 1B (WW1)

Guest ElizabethAR

Guest ElizabethAR

I am researching my family history and have found that my grandfather was discharged from the Yorkshire Regiment in 1917 (after joining up, or being conscripted, in 1916). His discharge certificate is of the third type, that is he qualified for the Silver War Badge. The Cause of Discharge is given in the right hand column of this certificate and written there is "AO 265/17 1B" . No other information about the reasons for discharge are given. The Action Taken is recorded as "List 0/ 224/1". There are no indications of any medals or wound stripes etc on the certificate. I have not been able to find out anything about Army Order 265/17 or any amendments to this order, nor what I assume paragraph 1B may refer to. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Liz

List O / 224/1 refers to the SWB issue roll,this should be held @ the NA & will give further details of his service,although limited.

Name

Rank on discharge

Unit discharged from

Number

Date of enlistment

Date of discharge

If Served O/S

Age[sometimes]

Reason for discharge{often just KR392 *****,but sometimes a wordier reason.

I have transcribed the War Badge Roll for the Dorsets and have noted the following:

K.R. 392 (xvi) Paragraph of Army Order 2 of 10th August 1917 entitling: ( b )( i ), and

K.R. 392 (xvi) Paragraph of Army Order 265 of 1917 under which entitled: ( b )( i )

K.R. 392 (xvi) was simply "No longer physically fit for war service".

Regards

Steve

• 2 months later...

Hi Steve

do you have or know what is in paragraph Army Order 265 of 1917 Paragraph 2B

because this is on my Grandads MIC

Allan

I have transcribed the War Badge Roll for the Dorsets and have noted the following:

K.R. 392 (xvi) Paragraph of Army Order 2 of 10th August 1917 entitling: ( b )( i ), and

K.R. 392 (xvi) Paragraph of Army Order 265 of 1917 under which entitled: ( b )( i )

K.R. 392 (xvi) was simply "No longer physically fit for war service".

Regards

Steve

do you have or know what is in paragraph Army Order 265 of 1917 Paragraph 2B

because this is on my Grandads MIC

Thanks to Armoured Farmer who supplied me with these details I can tell you that the relevant bits and pieces from Army Order 265 of 1917 are......

2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:

(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:

(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,

(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).

Steve

Thanks for that Steve and also Armoured Farmer but not sure if i understand it all but will try and work it out LMAO

Allan

Thanks to Armoured Farmer who supplied me with these details I can tell you that the relevant bits and pieces from Army Order 265 of 1917 are......

2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:

(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:

(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,

(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).

Steve