Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Gloucestershire Regiment

Chris_Baker

Can anyone tell me anything about the 18th (Service) Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment. I know they were formed from the cadre of the 5th Ox&Bucks LI and went to France in 1918, serving in 16th Division. But that's all I know. In particular, can anyone tell me where/when they demobilised?

According to my sources the Training Cadre of the 5th Ox&Buck L.I. joined 16th Div at Boulogne on the 18th June 1918, prior to the Divisions retrun to the U.K. They amalgamated with the 18th Glosters, who had been formed at Clacton on the 26th June 1918, and became 18th Glosters. The 18th Glosters joined 16th Div on the 2nd July 1918 at Aldershot. They were then reduced to a cadre on the 1st August 1918 while in France and returned to the UK, where they were disbanded at Bristol on the 30th June 1919.

The remark about being reducued to a cadre in August 1918 I find a bit odd, as I thought they took part in the Advance to Victory.

Graham.

Hello Chris,

I'm not sure what I can add here, other than the info which Graham has kindly offered, and that found on LLT. However, a quick look elsewhere [Rolls of Honour and CWGC] suggest that the 18th Bttn were almost certainly fighting in the Bethune area on 11 September 1918, as 18 men are buried in Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. They were also involved in the latter stages and 'The Final Advance in Artois' between Oct. 2--Nov. 11. It's a bit vague, I know, but someone may possibly know the battles involved.

Kind Regards,

Dave

PS: I have a personal interest in the 18th Bttn. My Grandfather was attached to the same battalion [54 days], and was discharged in September 1918 [3rd] suffering from deafness and shellshock as a result of being blown up. His medals [NA-MIC] are attributed to the 18th Bttn Gloucestershire Regiment, although I'm not sure whether he served in a theatre of war with this unit, and his deafness may have been the result of his service with the West Yorks, as he was later transferred to the Labour Corps, before the Glosters

He was discharged from No. 7 District: Warwick, which I'm assuming was the Regimental HQ or Depot. [Pte. Christopher Stowe 53337]. The inscription on his actual medals is that of the West Yorkshire Regt [27771]. Good Luck. I look forward to reading the postings. Dave

The demobilisations began at the end of the war and by February 1919 the Battalion was reduced to 2 companies. Later that month another 122 men left to join 2/5th Glosters in Germany. The War Diary first refers to a 'cadre' in March 1919 and the last entry in the diary is 31 May 1919 when the cadre moved to Templeuve.

Steve

Hi Chris,

the 18th Gloucesters on the 1st September were relieved by the 3rd Tyneside Scottish in the front line near the La Bassee-Lens road then relieved them on the 8th. on the 17th September, 1918, the 3rd Tyneside Scottish attacked and captured some positions and were relieved by the 18th Gloucesters. On the 2nd October the 16th Division began attacking Berclau near the western side of the Haute-Deule Canal. Hope this helps fill a gap. Regards John

18th BATTALION GLOUCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

ROLL OF HONOUR

Alderman, William Pte. No. 204770 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 24 Born: Unknown Enlisted: Aylesbury [Winslow] Bucks. Cemetery-Memorial: Brown’s Road Military Cemetery, Festubert. VIII. H. 20. [son of Mr. And Mrs W. Alderman, Swanbourne, Bucks: Husband of Mary E. Alderman, of “Bandilands”, Brackley, Northants] Formerly No. 3328, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Atwell, William Thomas Cpl. No. 52347 [K.IA.] 11-9-1918 Age: 44 Born: Dalston, London Enlisted: Tottenham, London. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. L.1. [son of Mr and Mrs Atwell, 87 Paignton Road , South Tottenham: Husband of Elizabeth Attwell, 31 Harefield Road, South Tottenham, London] Served with “A” Coy. [Formerly No. 46335, Royal Fusiliers]

Birkett, Harold Joseph Pte. No. 44708 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 27 Born: Liverpool Enlisted: Press Heath Camp. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension N. 18. [son of the late Joseph and of Ellen Birkett, 33 Gordon Road, Seaforth Liverpool] Formerly No. 86677, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Bott, Leonard Howard [bolt, L.H--SDGW] Pte. No. 53739 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 23 Born: Acock’s Green, Birmingham. Enlisted: Ashford [Yardley-Birmingham]. Cemetery-Memorial: St. Mary’s A.D.S. Cemetery, Haisnes. X. F. 4. [son of Sophia Bott, of “Glenmaye”, 311 Yardley Road, South Yardley, Birmingham, and the late James William Bott] Formerly No. 4179, East Kent Regiment.

Brookes, Edward Arkell L/Cpl. No. 263002 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 25 Born: Brockworth, Gloucestershire. Enlisted: Cheltenham Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Commnunal Cemetery Extension N. 14. [son of Mrs. J. A. Brookes, of Gloucestershire] Formerly No. 241077, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Budge-Harmer, Sidney George Pte. No. 52350 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Lambeth, London Enlisted: Marylebone, London Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension N. 13. [Husband of Mrs. A. Budge-Harmer, 53 Powney Road, Maidenhead] Formerly No. 20726, Rifle Brigade

Evans, Bertram Lewis Pte. No. 39888 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 40 Born: London. Enlisted: St. Pancras, London. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. N. 19. [son of Thomas and Marion Lavinia Evans] Formerly No. 26803, Middlesex Regiment.

Forester, Edwin Pte. No. 53668 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Smethwick, Staffs. Enlisted: Handsworth, Birmingham. Cemetery-Memorial: St Mary’s A.D.S. Cemetery, Haisnes. X. F. 3. [Lens-La Bassee] Formerly No. 45162, Worcestershire Regiement.

Green, Frank Rowland Pte. No. 42266 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 19 Born: Winchcombe, Gloucestershire. Enlisted: Cheltenham. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. N. 15. [son of William and Mary Ophelia Green, 2 Glenorah Villas, Cleve View Road, Cheltenham]

Hamlin, A. Pte. No. 42115 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Unknown Enlisted: Bristol Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemtery Extension. N. 12. [Husband of Mrs. B. F. Hamlin, 7 David Street, St. Philips, Bristol]

Hawkes, Alfred George Pte. No. 204610 [K.I.A.] 18-9-1918 Age: 22 Born: Hackney, London. Enlisted: London, E.C. Cemetery-Memorial: Loos Memorial. Panel 60 to 64. [son of Henry George and Eliza Hawkes, 5 Conrad Street, Hackney, London] Formerly No. 1694, City of London Regiment.

Higginson, Thomas Pte. No. 44822 [Died] 24-10-1918 Age: 19 Born: Bamber Bridge, Lancs. Enlisted: Blackburn, Lancs. Cemetery-Memorial: St. Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen. S. II. DD. 10. [son of Geoffrey and Ann Ellen Higginson, 204 Blackburn Road, Great Harwood, Blackburn.] Attached 2nd Employment Base Depot. Formerly No. 8786, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

Holt, Joseph Henry CSM No. 52315 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 28 Born: Chilverston, Warwickshire. Enlisted: Nuneaton. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly Communal Cemetery Extension. J. 14. [son of Fred and Mary Holt: Husband of Daisy Olive Holt, 84 Attleborough Road, Nuneaton] Awarded Croix de Guerre [France]. Formerly No. 10484, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

King, William Pte. No. 53526 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: St. Anthony’s, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Enlisted: Newcastle. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. J. 12. [son of Mr. J. King, 9 Ropery Walk, St. Anthony’s, Newcastle-on-Tyne] Formerly No. 316610, Northumberland Fusiliers.

Leach, Edward George Pte. No. 203673 [Died] 11-9-1918 Age: 32 Born: St. James, Hereford. Enlisted: Herefored. Cemetery-Memorial: Carvin Communal Cemetery. II. C. 3. [son of George Edwin and Elizabeth Leach, 50 St. Guthlac Street, Portfields, Hereford. Born in Hereford] Formerly No. 3905, Herefordshire Regiment.

Light, Richard William Pte. No. 203980 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 31 Born: Chatham, Kent. Enlisted: Stratford, Essex. Cemetery-Memorial: Loos Memorial. Panel 60 to 64. [son of Richard William and Ellen Light, 10 Lord Street, Silvertown, London]

Lowndes, Edmund Harold Pte. No. 42111 [K.I.A.] 18-9-1918 Age: 19 Born: Westminster, London. Enlisted: Bristol [Compton S.O., Glos]. Cemetery-Memorial: Loos Memorial Panel 60 to 64. [son of the Rev. A.T. and Annie Lowndes, of Compton Abdale Vicarage, Cheltenham]

Mahoney, John Thomas Pte. No. 32699 [Died] 18-9-1918 Age: 19 Born: St. James, Bristol. Enlisted: Bristol. Cemetery-Memorial: Loos Memorial Panel 60 to 64 [son of Mrs. M. Mahoney, 14 Charles Street, St. James, Bristol]

Merrell, Oliver George Pte. No. 53675 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 18 Born: St. Peter’s, Worcester. Enlisted: Worcester. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. N. 16. [son of Alfred John and Sarah Jane Merrell, 160 Herbert Road, Small Heath, Birmingham: Native of Worcester] Formerly No. 50606, Worcestershire Regiment.

Mills, Charles Frederick Pte. No. 53749 [Died of Wounds] 14-9-1918 Age: 32 Born: Newport Pagnall, Bucks. Enlisted: Bletchley, Bucks. Cemetery-Memorial: Pernes British Cemetery. VI. B. 25. [son of George Thomas and Rose Ella Mills, 7 London Road, Newport Pagnall, Buckinghamshire] Formerly No. 5989, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Mills, Percy Sidney. Pte. No. 53601 [K.I.A.] 19-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Minchinhampton, Glos. . Enlisted: Stroud, Glos. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery. L. 2. [son of Mr. G. H. Mills, of Hyde Hill, Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire] Formerly No. 24367, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Mullin, John Pte. No. 204696 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Unknown Enlisted: Pontefract, Yorkshire. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery. J. 13. [brother of Miss. J. Mullin, 20 Church Street, Basford, Nottingham] Formerly No. 4201, King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Parry, Albert Edward Pte. No. 34836 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Cheltenham. Enlisted: Cheltenham. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. N. 17. [son of Mr. F. Parry, 2 Millbrook Terrace, Gloucester Road, Cheltenham]

Pearce, Claud Edward Charles Pte. No. 266581 [Died] 21-9-1918 Age: 18 Born: Unknown. Enlisted: Bristol. Cemetery-Memorial: Houchin British Cemetery. III. E. 22. [son of Charles and Theresa Charlotte Pearce, Fishponds, Bristol]

Phillips, George Henry CSM No. 52319 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 26 Born: Gateshead, Co. Durham. Enlisted: Newcastle-on-Tyne. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. J. 15. [Husband of Mrs. J.S. Phillips, 6 Fowler Gardens, Dunston-on-Tyne, Gateshead, Co. Durham] Formerly No. 11851, Durham Light Infantry.

Pollard, John Herney Pte. No. 33982 [Died-Home] 2--12-1918 Age: 19 Born: Yealmpton, Devon. Enlisted: Plymouth. Cemetery-Memorial: Wadsley Churchyard [Yorkshire]. Formerly No. 15346, Devonshire Regiment.

Price, Alfred Percy Pte. No. 12103 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 29 Born: All Saints, Bristol. Enlisted: Cheltenham. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery Extension. N. 21. [son of James and Martha Fanny Price, of Stoke’s Road, Bishop’s Cleve, Cheltenham]

Rees, John Walter Pte. No. 53550 [Died] 19-9-1918 Age: 39 Born: Normanton, Yorkshire. Enlisted: Birmingham. Cemetery-Memorial: Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez. VIII. H. 25. [son of Thomas and Thirza Rees, Normanton, Yorkshire: Husband of Kathleen Mary Rees, 9 Park Retreat, Suffrage Street, Cape Hill, Smethwick, Staffs] Served with “A” Coy. [Formerly No. 28895, Royal Warwickshire Regiment]

Richardson, Arthur James Pte. No. 22985 [K.I.A.] 26-8-1918 Age: 37 Born: Kempsey, Worcs. Enlisted: Birmingham. Cemetery-Memorial: Cambrin Churchyard Extension [Grave in front of Row T] [son of Mary Richardson and the late Thomas Richardson, Brookend, Kempsey, Worcester]

Smith, Ernest Alfred Pte. No. 39890 [Died of Wounds] 15-8-1918 Age: 36 Born: Horsmonden, Kent. Enlisted: Picadilly, London. Cemetery-Memorial: Pernes British Cemetery. VI. B. 30. [son of Charles and Emily Smith, Horsmonden, Kent] Formerly No. 5808, County of London Regiment.

Smith, William Pte. [L/Cpl. CWGC] No. 204407 [Died of Wounds] 13-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Liverpool. Enlisted: Finsbury, London. Cemetery-Memorial: Pernes British Cemetery. VI. B. 24. [Formerly No. 266357, Royal West Surrey Regiment]

Sunaway, Andrew Pte. No. 260021 [K.I.A.] 19-9-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Barking, Essex. Enlisted: Barking. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery. L. 3. [Formerly No. 5852, London Regiment]

Thomas, Austin James A. Sgt. No. 20674 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 34 Born: Plymouth. Enlisted: Bristol. Cemetery-Memorial: Loos Memorial. Panel 60 to 64. [Husband of Alice Amy Thomas, 2 Narrow Plain, St. Philips, Bristol]

Weatherhead, Frank Anthony Pte. No. 204506 [Died of Wounds] 2-11-1918 Age: Unknown Born: Reading. Enlisted: Ipswich. Cemetery-Memorial: Taintignies Communal Cemetery [belgium] C.4.

Webb, John William Pte. No. 53754 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 19 Born: Ipswich. Enlisted: High Wycombe. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery. N. 20. Son of William and Laura Webb, 5 Hill Side View, Chalfont St. Giles: Native of Eyke, Woodbridge, Suffolk] Formerly No. 31026, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

Wells, Thomas William Pte. No. 267064 [K.I.A.] 19-9-1918 Age: 27 Born: Farley, Hants. Enlisted: Romsey, Hants. Cemetery-Memorial: Sailly-Labourse Communal Cemetery. L. 4. [son of Mary Ann Wells, of The Square, Braishfield, Romsey, Hants, and the late James Wells: Native of Farley, Chamberley, Romsey]

Whiteman, George Moody Cassels L/Cpl. No. 53628 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 19 Born: Methil, Fifeshire. Enlisted: Warwick [King’s Norton-Birmingham]. Cemetery-Memorial: Vieille-Chapelle New Military Cemetery, Lacouture. VIII. E. 10. [son of James T. Whiteman, 148 Middleton Hall Road, King’s Norton, Birmingham, and the late Alison C. Whiteman. Born at Drumchapel, Dunbartonshire ] Formerly No. 38394, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Whitfield, Fred L/Cpl. No. 52641 [K.I.A.] 11-9-1918 Age: 21 Batley, Yorks. Enlisted: Derby. Cemetery-Memorial: Carvin Communal Cemetery. II. E. 1. [son of Charles and Helen Whitfield, 46 Dexter Street, Derby] Enlisted in 5TH Bttn Sherwood Foresters March 1915. {No. 23946} Awarded Military Medal

I AM MISSING THE ONE OFFICER WHO WAS KILLED SERVING WITH THE 18th BATTALION. CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE? [THANKS FOR THE LINK HERITAGE PLUS]

Kind Regards,

Dave

POSSIBLE OFFICER [DIED]

Lt. R. Hill [Gloucestershire Regiment] [Died] 24-11-1920 Age: Unknown. Cemetery-Memorial: Dawlish Cemetery [Devon]. Loc. 389

See the link which Heritage Plus kindly provided. Or <http://members.tripod.com/~Glosters/18thBn.htm>

Lt. Hill is not listed on SDGW printed, but mentioned in the unit war diary along with a number of other officers of the 18th Bttn [see above]. It was a case of working through the few names given and cross-referencing with CWGC. The name of Lt. Hill was the only one which matched. There is also a Pte. Russell Hill [29975] of the Somerset Light Infantry listed on NA-MIC. He was later commissioned in the Gloucestershire Regiment. Possibly same man.

I could be wrong, of course, the battalion strength at Boulogne on 1 August 1918, was 41 officers and 709 men. 38 men and 1 officer died.

Regards,

Dave

• 1 year later...

During 1921 the laying up of the colours of the 12th battalion Gloucestershire Regiment took place in Bristol Cathedral.

At the same time the 18th Batt'n colours were also laid up.

Prior to that time Lt. Col. Colt, an original officer of the 12th and formerly C.O. of the batt'n in 1918 attempted to locate

a representation from the 18th batt'n. He was unable to trace anyone and former 12th batt'n men filled in for them.

The colours to the 18th were hung in the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery alongside those of the 12th.

Unfortunately the colours were in direct sunlight for around 60 years and turned to powder.

Dean

• 16 years later...