Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airfix 1/72 Model Soldiers

Broznitsky

The cars went (oh, how I wept.....) to fund the badge collecting.

The Airfix figures went to younger relatives alomg with the Action Men, the Airfix kits and a shedload of other bits of my childhood, including the Lego.......

What was the thread?

A dewy-eyed Graeme

by the way can anyone tell me what that tyre like round thing 2 of the figures are carrying was?)  Happy days indeed

Just for Will, as Staffsyeoman points out, the ice skaters with hula hoop were actually carrying barbed wire. Where are the gloves? :D

Peter

P.S. Dare I mention Britains 54mm plastics and Swoppets? Another wave of nostalgia??

post-3-1068256659.jpg

P.S. Dare I mention Britains 54mm plastics and Swoppets? Another wave of nostalgia??

Forgive my ignorance, but, what were 'swoppets'?

Were they like Timpo, were you could 'swop' hats, heads, bodies etc.?

I meant to mention a book my daughter bought me recently, which I found a great piece of nostalga:

Arthur Ward 'Celebrating 50 Years of the Greatest Plastic Kits in the World' (Harper Collins 1999).

Full of wonderful colour photos of all the goodies!

Who said 'Timpo'? Takes you right back, I don't think I have heard the word in 20 years possibly longer. Timpo U S cavalry, cowboys and Indians. They were always cheaper that Britains U S Cavalry which were metallic, and me dad had to take me to Billingham to get them, whereas it was quicker and cheaper to buy timpo soldiers from behind the glass counter at Willie Watson's shop in Sunderland.

I always found subbeto football baize a good backdrop for a game of soldiers if you turned it over first, so much better than the carpet, spent hours we did setting up the Waterloo HO OO figures and then knocking them down with a marble in turns.

(Que theme music from the 'Likely Lads'.. oh waht happened to you wahatever happened to me etc)

Sorry..got carried away there. About timpo, the figures were interchangable, especially the heads it was always useful if you had US Cavalry and you were on a mission in injun country to change heads with an indian so you could have a scout...leaving the hair long but with a cavalry cap.

spent hours we did setting up the Waterloo HO OO figures and then knocking them down with a marble in turns.

Yup, marbles for indoors but, if it was outside, I used to lob earth bombs at them.

They gave an explosion effect, with peripheral shrapnel damage to units in the vicinity!!!! :ph34r:

by the way can anyone tell me what that tyre like round thing 2 of the figures are carrying was?)  Happy days indeed

Just for Will, as Staffsyeoman points out, the ice skaters with hula hoop were actually carrying barbed wire? Where are the gloves? :D

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Missed Staffs post first time around. Noticed your Yankie Hotchkiss firer don't stand up either :lol:

One of my Dad's mates when I was a kid was in the RFA in the Great War, he saw my set of doughboys once and said they were spot on - I would have loved to have known why they were better than the others, but he enlisted in the Field Battery above not too many years after. He had actually seen the Red Baron flying his 'plane - I was tremendously in awe of him and too scared to speak

The boxes were 19 1/2 pence each when I started buying them

My favourites were Britains though - the splendid range of artillery pieces and the Gordon Highlanders

I've just arrived home from two weeks away at work and I've just read this thread. These Airfix soldiers were where it started for me and like the other posters here I have some happy memories of playing with them. It wasn't until I grew up, got married and calmed down :rolleyes: that I started painting and collecting metal figures.

I remember my Mum coming home from work once and going mad at us because her flower border was a maze of trenches full of little plastic men.

Roger.

:D

My 12 year old son has several boxes of WW1 figures German and British and after taking him to the Somme a couple of weeks ago, he has built an excellent model trench system which he has based on Trones Wood.

I had bought them for a similar reason but never got around to it!

He has also painted each oner as well as shown some gory death scenes!

The swoppets I remember were WW2 infantry. Bayonets could be removed from scabbards, webbing (fairly bright green I seen to remember) could be removed along with weapons, heads and helmets.

I had the mortar team and used it to lob the metal mortar bombs at houses built from playing cards. Very satisfying to watch them fall down.

Ah nostalgia

Nigel