Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Royal George.

Bob Coulson

I have a local memorial man whose details are given as,

John Melia, HMS Royal George.

Only one man on CWGC seems to fit but he is listed as RND.

Does anyone know of any connection between the two?

Bob.

In short, no!

I do, however, have a chap on my memorial who died of sickness on HMT Royal George (whether that's the same one or not, I don't know) and was buried at sea.

Could it be that the RN connection with him being RND was confused with him perhaps dying of sickness or wounds on the Royal George and someone thought he had served on it? Just a thought.

Bob.

Able Seaman John Melia, KX/294, Howe Battalion RND, was killed in the 3rd Battle of Krithia on Gallipoli on 4 June 1915. HM Transport ROYAL GEORGE (HMT not HMS) was the transport that took Howe Battalion to the Med. in March 1915 but Melia was killed ashore. He also was at Antwerp with the RND (1914*).

I've been Googling and came up with the following site:

http://www.anzacs.net/GRAVES/Cemeteries/MEMLonePine_I_M.htm

The site lists the following chap on the Lone Pine memorial:

KIBBLEWHITE Private LEONARD 12/1693. Auckland Regiment N.Z.E.F.. Died of wounds on H.M.T. "Royal George 11th May 1915. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kibblewhite, of Opoia Rd., Hamilton. 72.

Now, I may be putting two and two together and making five here, but it seems that the Royal George was still in the Gallipoli area in May at least, as this chap died on her. The fact he's on the memorial suggests he was buried at sea. So perhaps it's as I suggested, and somehow the link with the ship as opposed to the RND has been made on the memorial you're researching?

The battleship originally laid down as HMS Royal George was re-named HMS George V in honour of the new King before her launch in 1911.

Mick

I've been Googling and came up with the following site:

http://www.anzacs.net/GRAVES/Cemeteries/MEMLonePine_I_M.htm

The site lists the following chap on the Lone Pine memorial:

KIBBLEWHITE Private LEONARD 12/1693. Auckland Regiment N.Z.E.F.. Died of wounds on H.M.T. "Royal George 11th May 1915. Son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kibblewhite, of Opoia Rd., Hamilton. 72.

Now, I may be putting two and two together and making five here, but it seems that the Royal George was still in the Gallipoli area in May at least, as this chap died on her. The fact he's on the memorial suggests he was buried at sea. So perhaps it's as I suggested, and somehow the link with the ship as opposed to the RND has been made on the memorial you're researching?

Yes, the ROYAL GEORGE stayed around the area after the Gallipoli landings. She took on board a number of wounded on 11 May (four died that night) and she sailed for Alexandria, arriving on 13 May. She then sailed to Malta and then home, arriving in the Bristol Channel on 25 May.

Ah! so she was back home on 25th May. Do you know if she went back to Gallipoli again after that, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Bob.

Ah! so she was back home on 25th May. Do you know if she went back to Gallipoli again after that, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Bob.

She certainly did, I think mainly trooping trips with reinforcements. She was definitely on station in mid-August and late September 1915 but she could not have been there when Melia died in early June - it was a two-week passage.

To make sure, I've checked Marine Deaths for 1915 & MELIA is not there.

Bob, what's the name of your man who died on HMT Royal George?

Kath.

To make sure, I've checked Marine Deaths for 1915 & MELIA is not there.

Kath.

Able Seaman John Melia, reported earlier, was a Middlesbrough man (parents lived in Duncombe Street). He was definitely not a "Marine Death". His name is on the Helles Memorial. CWGC have his date of death as 6 June (probably incorrect).

Kath said:

Kath.

Lieutenant John Vick Thomas. He died 03/12/18 en route to India as he was a Royal Engineer seconded to the Indian Army. The MIC helpfully says "died of (squiggle) at sea"!

Some weeks ago I posted a copy of the card to see if anyone could read it, but helpful as forum members were, we all failed miserably:

So much for my theory of John Melia dying at sea. Never mind - better luck next time, eh?

Bob.

Many thanks to all for the input into this thread, very helpful.

John Melia is remembered on Middlesbrough War Memorial, if anyone has any further info on him I would be most grateful.

Thanks once again.

Bob.

The administrative copies of his service cards are online.

Name Melia, John

Service Number(s): KX/294 ...

Rank or Rating: Ordinary Seaman, Able Seaman, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Date of Birth: 28 August 1880