The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal card ?

eileen

Basically:

John T HUGILL

RE (Royal Engineers)

43581 (Service Number)

Spr (Sapper - lowest rank in RE - equivalent to a Private)

L/Cpl (means he was later a Lance Corporal)

Victory Medal

British War Medal

15 Star

These are the usual three medals dished out for overseas service. The long numbers etc. after that are the reference to the actual medal rolls held at Kew (which MIGHT give a little more info.)

Trans Z AR- means his transfer to the Army Reserve (AR) on discharge as class "Z" (the usual one).

Often you'll find his date of entry into overseas theatre a bit lower down on the card.

A search of The Long Long Trail and of the forum will give you a large number of posts on interpreting these cards and you'll find most questions have been asked and answered somewhere before. In fact, there's a whole section of the forum devoted to interpreting these cards.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

The X with dots around it next to "Victory" and "L/Cpl" is like an asterisk linking these two together.

It means that the Victory medal will have been inscribed with his rank as L/Cpl. The other two will probably have been inscribed with his rank as Sapper.

Victory Medal

British War Medal

15 Star

These are the usual three medals dished out for overseas service.

OUCH!!! :(:o

Just mindful of my Grandfather who always said, when asked, that they "came up with the rations"!

No offence intended!!

Just mindful of my Grandfather who always said, when asked, that they "came up with the rations"!

No offence intended!!

well we know our place ,researching family tree most of my lot ag labs but where would we have been without ag labs etc to fighting in the wars for us.

regards eileen

The Victory and British War Medals were issued together and usually have the same information on them, so in this case should both be to lance corporal.

The 14/15 Star trio is only usual if someone entered a designated zone in the qualifying period.

Millions only got the Victory and British War Medals.

Those meeting the requirements got the 1914 Star trio.

Even the transporters of the rations suffered huge casualties.

thank you everyone for your help

grandad is still a bit of a puzzle the medal card says 1914-1915 but from photos and other bits of info he was still in the war (army) much later than those dates.

so i am still confused would you have two medal cards have i got the right john temple hugill ?????????

'the medal card says 1914-1915' that is idetifying him as someone who qualified for the 1914-15 Star, not as someone whose service ended then. The campaign medals are described on the Long Long Trail (the main site).

Have you been to Kew, looked at the medal roll and checked that the middle initial stands for Temple? Those rolls usually have the names in full. The only way of knowing that you have the right man is if you are lucky enough to find his service records.

'the medal card says 1914-1915' that is idetifying him as someone who qualified for the 1914-15 Star, not as someone whose service ended then. The campaign medals are described on the Long Long Trail (the main site).

Have you been to Kew, looked at the medal roll and checked that the middle initial stands for Temple? Those rolls usually have the names in full. The only way of knowing that you have the right man is if you are lucky enough to find his service records.

thank you

all my research is done on line so it looks like a dead end thanks again

Just a quick observation. The later rank could easily be interpreted as 2/Cpl i.e. Second Corporal, which was a possibility for the Engineers. The medal roll itself will clarify as that will have been typed and there can be no confusion.

Regards

Steve

Just a quick observation. The later rank could easily be interpreted as 2/Cpl i.e. Second Corporal, which was a possibility for the Engineers. The medal roll itself will clarify as that will have been typed and there can be no confusion.

Regards

Steve

thank you

this medal roll is kew only i suppose, as i do all my research on line

Yes, the rolls are at Kew.

Don't be shy about asking people on here if they could do a simple lookup for you, though.

I'd offer myself, but my recent visit is the last I'll be able to do for a couple of months.

Bob.

You can get the people at Kew to copy the medal roll entries you are interested in and then view them on-line. You first have to request an estimate via this page. I got electronic copies of Victory Medal, British War Medal, and Silver War Badge entries for £11 in total. All you need to do is fill in the details that you want with the WO reference for what you want. Sorry - don't know much about these but someone on this forum pointed me in the right direction. They'll be WO329/???.

Good luck,

Marc