Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Spanish Farm Trilogy

armourersergeant

I am in the process of reading the Spanish Farm trilogy by R H Mottram. A classic novel of the Great War and as I get to page 86 and a glaring mistake shines out at me and I realise that it is not just modern authors who make mistakes.

The scene is mid to late 1916....

'They passed about her , Easthamptons, Lincolns, Norfolks, ASC, RAMC, RAF, gunners, Engineers, French Mission in blue and strawberry, wonderful staff people, in khaki and leather so perfect.....'

Spot the deliberate mistake!

regards

Arm

I get it!! Staff people aren't wonderful. Or...there are no such people as Easthamptons!! Or....he meant RFA instead of RAF!! Or.......the Norfolks weren't in that part of the line at that time!! Or....the French actually wore blue and raspberry!!

What it comes down to is that this guy was there and had a wonderful talent for descriptive writing and I love it.

Cheers,

Ian

PS Grow a full beard. You know you want to. :D

Yep, RAF!

Arm

PS Grow a full beard. You know you want to. :D

That wasn't aimed at Marina, was it? :)

I agree, though - The Spanish Farm trilogy is (are? - ooh pedants are about :( ) a wonderful bit of writing.

Arm knows who it's aimed at :D

Incidentally, Arm, lots more Mottram to go after that if you like his stuff!

Cheers,

Ian

Surely there must have been someone from the Royal Aircraft Factory in the passing mob ..........

My favourite unit, oft referred to in volumes of the period and some official records is the North Hampshires - whose derivation comes from the North Hants, if you see my meaning....

Presumably "whoooooar!" is sadly lacking in Baston?

Just in case anyone is vaguely interested, t'other books of Mottram worth reading are: 'Ten Years Ago' (Chatto & Windus, 1928) and 'A Personal Record' published in '3 Personal Records of the War' (Scholartis Press, 1929).

Cheers,

Ian

Didnt a Mottram marry the beautiful daughter in Brideshead Revisited?

Kathie

kATHIE,

yES, A mOTTRAM MARRIED sEBASTIAN'S SISTER, BUT HE WAS A C A N A D I A N .

RATHER A SILLY UPSTART, I SUSPECT JUDGING BY THE SIZE OF THE COGNAC GLASS HE PREFERS AND BY HIS OVERWHELMING DESIRE TO BE CONVERTED TO THE ROMAN CATHOLIC FAITH SO THAT HE TAKES LITERALLY ALL HE IS TAUGHT BY THE PRIEST, PLAYED IN THE TV SERIES BY THE INCOMPARABLE JOHN LE MESURIER OF 'DAD'S ARMY ' FAME.

ALL THE BEST,

FRED

These delightful threads are what makes this forum so enjoyable as well as knowledgeable.

Many thanks for sharing the humour........................Tim Sydney

kATHIE,

yES, A mOTTRAM MARRIED sEBASTIAN'S SISTER, BUT HE WAS A C A N A D I A N .

RATHER A SILLY UPSTART, I SUSPECT JUDGING BY THE SIZE OF THE COGNAC GLASS HE PREFERS AND BY HIS OVERWHELMING DESIRE TO BE CONVERTED TO THE ROMAN CATHOLIC FAITH SO THAT HE TAKES LITERALLY ALL HE IS TAUGHT BY THE PRIEST, PLAYED IN THE TV SERIES BY THE INCOMPARABLE JOHN LE MESURIER OF 'DAD'S ARMY ' FAME.

ALL THE BEST,

FRED