Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment History

Stephen Barker

If you'd like to know what a particular East Lancs Battalion was doing during the Great War - I can have a look for you. If you'd like a scan of the page e-mail me via my profile.

Stephen

• 6 months later...

Does the offer still apply sir?

I'm interested in the entries for the 8th Battalion for the period between the date they landed in France (July/Aug15?) to the end of February 1916. I understand they were in and around Fonquevillers?

Can you give me a brief idea?

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Steve,

I have a copy of the 6 East Lancashire Regiment from 1 August 1915 onwards, I would love to have some details for June and July when they first arrived in Gallipoli. In particular where they went ashore at Helles.

This is very much appreciated

Cheers

Shirley

ps just realised this is from last year, so I understand if things have changed ;)

Shirley and Mark

I have replied offline to these queries.

All the best

Stephen

Steve,

Woken up and found them :D Thank you so much, this gives the precise places to revisit. The continued generosity of pals on this forum is a marvellous thing

Cheers

Shirley

That goes for me as well Stephen. I'll be in touch..

Mark

Stephen

Just a public thank you for the wealth of information you provided me with in relation to my enquiries about the 8th Battalion between March 1915 and Februry 1916 . A really useful research facility you provide sir.

Thanks again.

Mark

Stephen

My man Johnston was GOC 126th inf. Bde which was in 42 (East Lancs) Div. The Bde included, I think, 1/4th and 1/5th East Lancs. Johnston only managed a couple of days in command before being wounded - from 14th-16th Sept. 1917. Hence his diary only has a couple of pages relevant (I can send if of interest). Any mention of him in your material? - full name Alexander Colin Johnston.

Thanks

Edwin

Stephen

I am very much new to all this research and as part of my very first project could you assist with any information on the 7th bn especially on the date 04/07/1916.

Your time and assistance appreciated

Thanks in advance

Tony

Edwin

No mention of your chap at all. Looked at page 242 -43 (Ypres-Roulers Railway) September 14th 1917 and the Index, which is pretty comprehensive.

One more source eliminated!

Stephen

To anyone wanting a scan - please click on my profile and send me an

e-mail or personal message with your own email address - in addition to your message on this thread. This will speed things up a little.

Thank you

Stephen

Tony and Edwin

I'll reply offline.

All the best

Stephen

Stephen

Is there any mention of Major, later Lt Col Harry Maclear DSO. He was transferred later but I'd be interested to know which battalion he served with and any other mantion if possible

Many thanks Hambo

Stephen

Is there any mention of Major, later Lt Col Harry Maclear DSO. He was transferred later but I'd be interested to know which battalion he served with and any other mantion if possible

Many thanks Hambo

He became CO of 2nd Bn during Neuve Chapelle when the colonel was wounded and was in Bn HQ in the May 1915 reorganization. Phil B

Hi Stephen, Im trying to determine when an Ist East lancs man

John Guthrie Campbell, 242717 Private

won his MM as it was awarded in 1919, Im guessing 1918 but I was wondering if your records have any mention of him. Thanks in advance Gareth

• 3 months later...

Hi Stephen

My ancestor Chrles Gittings joined the 2/5th East Lancashire regiment as an officer 28.8.21917. If you can tell me where the regiment was from then until he was killed on the 21st March 1918 between Hargicourt and Herbecourt (where he was buried and then reburied in Roisel in 1918) I would be really grateful. I recently obtained book mainly relating to photographs of the East Lancashire regiment which mentioned this battalion may have been at Passendale.

Many thanks

Jane

• 1 year later...
If you'd like to know what a particular East Lancs Battalion was doing during the Great War - I can have a look for you. If you'd like a scan of the page e-mail me via my profile.

Stephen

Dear Stephen

Please can you tell me anything about the 9th Btn East Lancs Regiment. My soldier entered 5 May 1915. Was only with this regiment. His Theatre of War 1.

Would appreciate any information about the battle areas etc. He has no service papers.

Thank you,

Pat