Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Parkers Piece Cambridge

Martyn Gibson

This is a request to any Pals in the Cambridge area.

Is the area of open land known as Parkers Piece still there. Just been reading through the description of the parade of the Welsh Brigade in front of the King in Feb 1915 which took place there.

Just curious to know. Thanks in advance

Martyn

My grandson has just returned from interview there and I asked him the same question. He said "Yes", but I checked the current map anyway! Phil B

post-2329-1159113682.jpg

Wow.......I think you qualify for the fastest reply on the forum ever.

Thanks for the info Phil now I know it's still there I might make a trip over one day.

Regards

Martyn

Yes it's still there: a large park/recreation ground with football pitches etc on it. Paths criss-cross it and it's well used, particularly at night when cyclists without lights try to avoid crashing in to each other at high speed.

The De Vere hotel overlooks it and you can see a bit of it here:

Parkers Piece

Mark

Also has the local Police HQ facing it, plus the swimming baths and the fire station, so all needs are serviced!

Also famous as the training ground for Jack Hobbs (cricketer, in case you didn't know - I also played a little bit there), and - finally - has Parkside Community College nearby...in happier days, the Girls' Grammar School (one of my sisters went there).

Happy memories.

If you're really interested,Click Here

Parkers Piece was used in the 1860s and 1870s as a drill ground by the Cambridge University Rifle Volunteer Corps. This Corps later became the Cambridge University OTC.

The OTC history records that the CURVC used the piece as an assembly point from which it marched to the station to entrain for field days, reviews and camps destinations. On return the CURVC would march back to the piece for final dismissal.

In 1864 the CURVC together with their Oxford URVC counterparts were reviewed on the piece prior to being brigaded together along with the HAC and Civil Service Rifles under command of the Prince of Wales at the Volunteer Review at Hyde Park.

Dave

Guy's

As always a million thanks for the info :D

Martyn

Martyn

If you let me know when you plan to visit (IF) then we might be able to meet up. I work on the edge of Cambridge and can at least point you in the right direction for parking. Cambridge is not known for its friendliness towards motorists.

Garth

Thanks Garth that's a very kind offer

Martyn

Also has the local Police HQ facing it, plus the swimming baths and the fire station, so all needs are serviced!

Also famous as the training ground for Jack Hobbs (cricketer, in case you didn't know - I also played a little bit there), and - finally - has Parkside Community College nearby...in happier days, the Girls' Grammar School (one of my sisters went there).

Happy memories.

If you're really interested,Click Here

And also handy for that priceless asset, Cambridge University Library.

• 4 weeks later...
Parkers Piece was used in the 1860s and 1870s as a drill ground by the Cambridge University Rifle Volunteer Corps. This Corps later became the Cambridge University OTC.

The OTC history records that the CURVC used the piece as an assembly point from which it marched to the station to entrain for field days, reviews and camps destinations. On return the CURVC would march back to the piece for final dismissal.

In 1864 the CURVC together with their Oxford URVC counterparts were reviewed on the piece prior to being brigaded together along with the HAC and Civil Service Rifles under command of the Prince of Wales at the Volunteer Review at Hyde Park.

Dave

Dave,

Did Parkers Piece continue to be used after 1900 by the CURVC or HAC and if so how frequently (approx)

Was the Welsh Brigade parade a one off or did they regularly use it

J

Hi J,

I think the Welsh Brigade parade was a one off. They were parading before moving off to France. They had been in the area digging coastal defences.

Martyn