Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting Index Cards

tompukok

I recently found this medal card online and got a copy the person Samuel Frederick Goodier is my Great Grand father.

I have also found this on a website and visited his grave.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=370627

My problem is that this medal card does not seem to say he got killed but I have this info of a war grave for him.

Also he died after the war so I am not to sure what happened to him.

It looks like he must have been injured somewhere in the world then brought home and died.

Can anyone give me any idea on what I can do to find out what happened to him?

Any help would be of great use.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Hello Tom. Welcome to the forum.

I can think of two things you could do.

First, as he died in UK after the war you should be able to obtain a copy of his death certificate from the Family Records Centre. It will confirm the medical reason he died. It may have nothing to do with his military service, of course.

Second, try searching for his army service record in the WO363 class of papers at the National Archives in Kew. If his record can be found it will tell you what he did as a soldier.

The WR prefix on his second number says he was in the Inland Waterways and Railways department of the Royal Engineers.

Good luck!

Hello Chris Just to say thank you for your reply, I am not sure if I can get to Kew this is one of my main problems and I also think a major problem for a lot of people tracing there family tree and history.

You have given me a good piece of information that might help in how he died.

The WR prefix I did not know about thanks, just to let you know Samuel was a waterman or flatman working on the barges most of his life and I know in the Liverpool blitz a number of barges was hit in the 2nd world war but I am not sure if any where hit in the 1st, I wonder if anyone knows of any useful websites regards this subject?

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

The WR prefix on his second number says he was in the Inland Waterways and Railways department of the Royal Engineers.

The WR/5***** series of numbers would appear to have been allocated to the Inland Waterways rather than the Railways department.

Steve

The WR/5***** series of numbers would appear to have been allocated to the Inland Waterways rather than the Railways department.

Steve

Hello Steve,

Just to say thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Tom.