Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anonymous Airman

rgalley

post-13484-1159051513.jpg

I attach a postcard photograph of an anonymous serviceman who appears to be wearing RAF "eagle" shoulder flashes. Am I correct in thinking this, or should I be seeking advice from another area of the forum! He may not even be WW1, but must be close, I would have thought?

Regards

Richard

This looks like a RFC tunic with the eagle flash.

I would say that the airman had his photograph taken while he was based at RFC Halton,now RAF Halton.

The airman might even be a "Brat",ie a Halton apprentice. He would be at Halton for apprentice or adult training.

The Halton School of Technical Training was established in September 1917 on land requistioned at Halton Park,Wendover for men and boys.Halton was also the base at this time for airmen special technical training in such trades as Rigging and Fitting in order to to meet the skill requirements of the RFC at war.

By March 1920, RAF Halton had become known as No1 School of Technical Training (Boys) for inhouse training of aircraft servicing skills, a requirement that Trenchard had recognised as necessary and essential for the foundations of the Royal Air Force.

Neil and Frank,

Many thanks for your quick responses. It would be nice to put a name to the face in the picture, but at least I know a bit more now.

All the best

RIchard