Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Spared Village

Terence Munson

Ninety years ago on the 23rd September 1916 at midnight, a bomb from a German Zeppelin fell on Pinfold Lane in the village of Scartho on the southern boundary of Grimsby. It was the first of 14. They caused much damage to the Church and other property but the people of Scartho were spared from injury.

The original building and memorial plaque in Pinfold lane, commemorating the attack was demolished in the late 1960s and this new stone plaque was built into the wall of the new building at the same place:

Another memorial to the day that the People of Scartho were spared from injury, was erected in the church yard by a Joseph Grantham and unveiled on Thursday 23rd of September, 1920. It is a tall column of polished red granite surmounted by an urn, standing on a plinth of granite that has the following inscriptions:

ERECTED BY JOSEPH GRANTHAM

RIDAL ON THE 24TH SEP. 1920

A BOMB FROM A GERMAN ZEPPELIN FELL ON THIS SPOT AND 13 MORE IN THE PARISH. NO ONE WAS HURT THE CHURCH AND OTHER PROPERTY WAS DAMAGED

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE WHO MADE THE SUPREME SACRIFICE IN THE WAR 1914 - 1919

And last and by no means least, remembering a Great War Soldier, Private George William Dadd KIA on this day in 1916, as in my GWF signature.

Cheers: Terry

Edited by Terence Munson
to remove attachments

Thanks Tom - I was half hoping someone would come up with details of the Zeppelin as I haven't found any so far! Meanwhile research is progressing on the other projects!

Cheers: Terry