Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Request Poelcapelle

mrs shorty

Hi

I am looking for anyone who has a scan of a trench map for 9 october 1917 or about the time of the battle poelcapelle.

I have been informed form a wonderful forum member that My g/g uncle was fighting around that area on the day he lost his life, his body was never recovered so I would like to go and pay my respects as near as possible to his final resting place

Many thanks Sandra

Hi Sandra,

as I'm living in Poelcapelle I can help you. I know where Pheasant farm is en also the brewery. But they are actually on opposite sides of our village.

Johan

Hi

I am looking for anyone who has a scan of a trench map for 9 october 1917 or about the time of the battle poelcapelle.

I have been informed form a wonderful forum member that My g/g uncle was fighting around that area on the day he lost his life, his body was never recovered so I would like to go and pay my respects as near as possible to his final resting place

Many thanks Sandra

Hello Sandra

The 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters had their Battalion HQ at Pheasant Farm on 4th October.

Which battalion was he in becasue I would have thought that they would have been further forward than Pheasant farm by 9th Oct, unless it was an Aid Station by then. Johan has offered the map so I won't send a copy.

stevem

Hi Steven and Sandra,

do not exactly have a trench map of about 9th october, but as I do live here and interested in WWI related stuff I know the locations. So I can show them to Sandra is she comes if she wants. I can send Sandra a scan of a map showing both places, but not around that date.

Johan

Hi Steven and Sandra,

do not exactly have a trench map of about 9th october, but as I do live here and interested in WWI related stuff I know the locations. So I can show them to Sandra is she comes if she wants. I can send Sandra a scan of a map showing both places, but not around that date.

Johan

OK Johan.

Sandra send me you address to morse.steve@btinternet.com and I will scan what I have.

I have Poelcappelle Edition 3, 14/9/1917. I may have others if I can find them. I can possilby place his unit as well. As Johan says the two places are at opposite ends of the village. The front line on 9th was just before the crossroads and it is possible that he was attacking the Brewery and when wounded taken back to Pheasant Farm. 32 brigade as part of 11th Division were located in front of Poelcappelle on 9th.

The 32nd Brigade had taken over from 33rd Brigade in which were my 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters.

In fact on 4th October Fred Greaves won a Victoria Cross and i am in touch with his daughter who gave me his cigarette case (treasured).

stevem

Hi Guys

And many thanks to you all for replying,

Okay here is what i know my G/G uncle was called Albert Houseman he was in the West Yorkshire Regiment 9th Battalion and lost his life on the 9th Oct.1917. I have also found out his Brother William who was with the 2/6 Mancs were in reserve that day so they would not have been that far apart.......

I am not sure exactly where the W.Yorks were positioned but thought it might have been around the brewery area ?

any thoughts greatly appreciated

Steve have emailed you many thanks

Would love to meet Johan when i come over 2007

Cheers sandra

Hi Guys

And many thanks to you all for replying,

Okay here is what i know my G/G uncle was called Albert Houseman he was in the West Yorkshire Regiment 9th Battalion and lost his life on the 9th Oct.1917. I have also found out his Brother William who was with the 2/6 Mancs were in reserve that day so they would not have been that far apart.......

I am not sure exactly where the W.Yorks were positioned but thought it might have been around the brewery area ?

any thoughts greatly appreciated

Steve have emailed you many thanks

Would love to meet Johan when i come over 2007

Cheers sandra

As I thought he was part of 32nd Brigade. The 2/6th Manchesters part of 199th brigade, 66th Div would have been in reserve behind Gravenstafel which was only about 3 miles away.

I will email you with more info.

Steve

Hello Sandra

Send me an e-mail at 836@mozz41.freeserve.co.uk and I'll send you scans of the 9th W Yorks actions on 9th Oct [E Wyrall]

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

Thankyou for your kind offer, but i already have the extract from everard wyralls book posted by a kind forum member for me last week i also have just downloaded the october 1917 war diary which will keep me occupied deciphering it....

Cheers Sandra :)