Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

somme back areas

andrew pugh

Hi all

Could anybody tell me if there was a unit of the South Wales Borderers in the area not to far from Mailly-Maillet during the Great war, the unit was the 17th Coy S.W.B.The reason I ask is that my brother brought a rabbit hutch door with this painted on it, when he visited the area this year. Hes been in contact with someone who knows about these kind of things and said the paint used was the same kind used in that period of time.the question is was there such a unit or was it second world war. could someone help on this.

Regards

Andy Pugh

Andy

Battalions would have only had 4 companies, so there definately wouldnt have a 17th. Dunno about WW2 organisation, but I wouldnt have thought things had changed too much in 20 years

John

Hello John sorry I have not replied to you sooner because I work shift work and didnt notice the time last night when I was on the computer and had to rush off.So are you saying that there was a17th Coy of theS.W.B in the area of Mailley-Maillet in the Great War.If so It will make my Brother happy because he thought it may have been a fake!.We took a ride around the villages in that area and there still remain some of the buildings(Barns) which still have these doors they were used to keep rabbits locked up.Once again thanks Andy.

Andy,

My reading of John's post is that there would not have been a 17th company. But could you post a pic of this door, as it may help.

Mick