Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

my grandfather

andrew pugh

Dear all

I was wondering if someone could help me. I want to start researching my Gt Grandfather and all I have is a photo, and a service number.He was in the Royal Army Service Corps going by his cap badge,I have no idea when he joined up all I know is that he survived the war and died in 1920 he is buried in a paupers grave in mortlake cemetery. There is no one left on that side of the family except my mum and she knows very little about him. He survived the war but his son didnt incidently they both had the same name.Could anybody tell me what I could expect to find on him, service record, medal rolls, when he joined, ect.I dont get the opportunity to get to the P R O as I work shift work and only get one day off a week and I live in Suffolk.If any one could help me on this I would be very grateful.His name is Henry Morrell Service number M2/19391 thats all I have on him.

Best Regards

Andy Pugh.

Well for a start this could be his Medal Roll Index Card (MIC) assuming there is a 1 amiss somewhere!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

This MIGHT tell you the theatre he served in and when he entered it, for a start.

Only about 30% off WW1 service records survive so it is a long shot, but he might have one.

Regards,

Neil.

It would appear that H Morrell M2/119391 was killed, so this is the son?

Name: MORRELL

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps

Unit Text: 611th Mechanical Transport Coy.

Secondary Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 46th Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 20/06/1918

Service No: M2/119391

Awards: MM

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. L. 37.

Cemetery: AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Thanks for your quick response,his number was M2/19391 so Ive been told,not M2/119391 as you suggest

His nane was Henry Morrell, and his sons name was Henry John Morrell and he was killed in the 1918 German Offensive.His service number was SR/9571 Royal Fusiliers.Hope this isnt getting complicated for you.

Andy

Name: MORRELL, HENRY JOHN

Initials: H J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 24th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/03/1918

Service No: SR/9571

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 3.

Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Well there are no other H or Henry Morrell's listed as Army Service Corps and no one listed under M2/19391.

I would tend to think that either your information or the MIC is wrong, a typo somewhere (it's not unknown). But if that is indeed the case then he didn't die in 1920 :huh: Where is you information from? Is his number from his medals? It is possible that a 'family' account of him surviving the war is incorrect. Just thinking out loud :blink:

Neil.

Hi NeilH

The information you gave me on Henry John Morrell is correct, but his fathers name was Henry Morrell and his service number was M2/19391 and he was in the Royal Army Service Corps this is the man that Im now trying to research Sorry for all this confussion Neil.

Andy

P/S This man died in the U.K. in 1920 and is buried in mortlake cemetery.

Hello NeilH

Thanks for the information you gave me,sorry it was confusing.Im going to visit my mother next week If we have a dig around through the family records and try and find out what my Gt Gt grandfathers name was could I get in touch with you again on the forum with the right name?.Sorry I did not reply toyou last night but I did notnotice the time and had to leave for work.Once again thanks

Andy