Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Blockade!

Take on me

How was the Royal Naval Blockade of Germany maintained during the First World War? Did the Royal Navy have thousands of ships at sea at once or only a small number of ships in certain key areas? When a ship was captured was it simply seized, turned around or sunk?

Grateful for any replys.

Jon

Jon

It would seem to me that ,following on from the Battle of Jutland in May 1916, the British had such sea superiority in capital ships that they were able to bottle the Germans up at will. I don't think it was a question of huge numbers but the threat of certain extinction from superior firepower which kept the Germans inside their bases. Some of our larger units returned to Scapa Flow and didn't fire another shot in anger after the Jutland encounter.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

How was the Royal Naval Blockade of Germany maintained during the First World War? Did the Royal Navy have thousands of ships at sea at once or only a small number of ships in certain key areas? When a ship was captured was it simply seized, turned around or sunk?

Grateful for any replys.

Jon

The distant blockade was established to examine all shipping bound for the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries. A secondary purpose was the interception of German raiders.

The blockade of the 600 miles of ocean from the north of Scotland via Iceland to Greenland was initially undertaken by the eight old armoured cruisers of the "Edgar" class. These proved inadequate in numbers and in sea-keeping qualities and were replaced by twenty-four armed merchant cruisers. These weere larger and faster vessels. This was the Northern Patrol and the ships formed the 10th Cruiser Squadron.

As the blockade settled down, the procedure became that intercepted ships, which the boarding officer considered should have their cargo examined, were sent into the contraband control base at Kirkwall for this purpose, often with an armed guard on board. This departure from the traditional examination at sea was nescessary because of the numbers of ships involved (a monthly average of 280 for 1915/6) and the problem of U-boats. At Kirkwall a decision would be made as to whether the cargo was contraband. Even if it was not, the British would sometimes purchase it in order to prevent it reaching the enemy. The definition of contraband changed several times during the war. The burden on the 10th Cruiser Squadron was somewhat relieved as the war progressed by the conclusion of agreements with neutral countries and the provision by them of guarantees as to the final destination of cargoes. This was combined with a rationing system to prevent export substitution. Arrangements were also made for some shipping to call at the control ports for voluntary examination.

A similar blockade was in force in the Dover Straits.

Jon

A "senior"moment on my part ! On my desk awaiting my attention via bedtime reading,is the library book "The War At Sea 1914-1918" by Julian Thompson (ISBN 0-283-07354-3) under the Imperial War Museum banner. Your answer was an arm's length away but I ignored it !

If you can obtain this book there is a Chapter 4 entitled "Northen Waters:the Northern Patrol" which has all you'd need to know about the blockade.

One interesting aspect that I've already scanned is the comment of Rear Admiral de Chair,Flag Officer,10th Cruiser Squadron,expressing his personal fury that,at the start of the war German cargo ships made for neutral ports,and that our Foreign Office instructed that the crews and other German national reservists shoould get unhindered return to Germany from these neutral ports,to sign up under arms and join the fight against us !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thank you very much Ionia and Sotonmate, my question is as good as answered and I will try and find a copy of the Julian Thompson book. Thanks.

Jon :)