Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kinmel Camp, North Wales

Guest Timber

My paternal Great Grandfather's company was apparently involved in building this establishment. I have been unable to find any information on the WWW - does anyone have any background, particularly concerning the Manchester-based company Burgess and Galt??

Thanks,

Timber.

I have photos of my grandfather there, where he was based sometime prior to going abroad (to Ypres). He was with the Cheshire Regiment at that point. I found the Cheshires’ Military Museum at Chester very helpful, and worth a visit.

Gwyn

Bob,

I've seen that programme and it was very interesting indeed.

If I remember, the disturbances involved Canadian troops who were anxious for Demob, and at least one was killed in the unrest.

Think I'm right in saying the camp still exists?

Regards,

Gordon

Its entitled "The Kinmel Park Camp Riots 1919" published in Hawarden by the Flintshire Historical Society in 1989 and reprinted 1990.

There were still a couple of new copies for sale in Bodelwyddan church in September. It does contain a map of the camp, but no mention of it being built.

• 1 year later...

Hi Timber

How did you get on with your research. I was a boy soldier at Kinmel Park in 1964-66. Part of the camp remains.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jumberly

I believe some of the camp still exsists. It was used (prob. still is by the TA) As I remember it's mostly wooden huts.

Kinmel Camp is still in use though much reduced in scale. The remains of practice trenches survive in Knmel park, next door, now a hotel. They are Scheduled Monument and protected by Cadw. Apparently there is some evidence of practice tunnels there too!

There were some postcards of Kinmel Camp at Outwood medal fair last Sunday, had a quick browse, going for about £2.00, can't remember name of dealer but he's got some great stuff - they'll probably still be there on the next 1st Sunday in the month but I won't.

If you ever visit the area dont forget the Canadian soldiers graves at Marble Church near the camp. Sad reminders of young lives lost from that war.

Bob,

I've seen that programme and it was very interesting indeed.

If I remember, the disturbances involved Canadian troops who were anxious for Demob, and at least one was killed in the unrest.

Think I'm right in saying the camp still exists?

Regards,

Gordon

IIRC, I believe the dead were around 5. Some were bayoneted and one was shot. The soldier who was shot, was shot by his own side. Very sad piece of Canadian history. Another riot involving Canadian troops occurred at Epsom, where one police Sgt was killed.

Its entitled "The Kinmel Park Camp Riots 1919" published in Hawarden by the Flintshire Historical Society in 1989 and reprinted 1990.

There were still a couple of new copies for sale in Bodelwyddan church in September. It does contain a map of the camp, but no mention of it being built.

That's where I bought my copy from last year.