Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JERUSALEM WAR MEMORIAL PHOTOS

David Seymour

I have just been notified by the British Consulate in Jerusalem that the photo I requested of the name of Captain Stanley Joseph Steel, former teacher at Thetford Grammar School, has been posted on their website. I am most grateful to those concerned at the consulate and would recommend the use of this service. There are several other newly posted photos. Members might like to take a look.

I wonder if any other Consulates do a similar service. I am particularly interested in a photo of Victor Benjamin Woods name on the Chatby Memorial.

Best wishes,

David

Jerusalem started this off when I was searching for images of the local men buried out in Gaza etc for use in the local Memorial book. Strangely enough The Consulate Officer concerned with this had just been informed at dinner by his wife , who also works at the Comsulate, that she had just discovered the original plans for the Memorial and Cemetery in the archives. It is now on the website.

They go off the air occasionally while the Israelis and Palestineans have a go at each other but they provide an admirable service.

The photos, if used in publications, have to have a notification ' Photograph courtesy of the British Consulate Jerusalem '

Aye

Malcolm

Photograph courtesy of the British Consulate Jerusalem

post-19-1068073389.jpg

wonder if any other Consulates do a similar service. I am particularly interested in a photo of Victor Benjamin Woods name on the Chatby Memorial.

David,

After you raised this question earlier this year, I had the opportunity of speaking to the CWGC chap who covers this area. From our conversation I got the impression that he also deals with Cyprus and Ethiopia, so he may well cover Egypt too. Be that as it may, his advice at the time was that for Jerusalem/Gaza/Deir el Balah the contact route was via the Consulate-General in Jerusalem, while for other cemeteries requests should be directed in the first instance to the CWGC head-office in the UK. Perhaps they can help you with Egypt?

A reminder of the contacts: the CWGC appears in the "Links" of 'The Long, Long Trail.' For the Consul-General in Jerusalem try - Britain.Jerusalem@fco.gov.uk

Very glad to hear that your pics arrived in time for the 11th Nov [May was not too early to start then]

Regards

Michael D.R.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael D R,

Thanks for the tip. I will try Head Office.

and Malcolm - interesting to hear how this got started!

Regards,

David

• 6 months later...

Pals

Does anubody know if this service is still available? I can't even find the appropriate website.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Sorry I have no current info re this service

And regret no plans to visit Jerusalem myself in the foreseeable future

The Consulate-General site is here

My previous post above also gives a useful e-mail address

Best of Luck

Michael D.R.

MDR

Cheers - looked at the website and there does not appear to be any reference to photos any more. Maybe the situation out there means that they have suspended this service.

I will try an e-mail and see what happens.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

I'd be interested to see how you get on. I have a request in for a photo in Beersheba and am patiently awaiting news.

Nick