Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

is this the worst shot of the piper?

mcfc1923

John and Alie - I have to admit that my lasagne and chips was accompanied by a glass of Stella, but just the one! :wacko:

Hmmm I never knew that was there.

I hate to denegrate a monument but that's a pretty poor show. I won't argue with the artistic merit of the sculpture, but...what a spot? :blink:

I can't help but compare it in my mind with the 51st Division Mem at Newfoundland Memorial Park.

I suggest commision yer man from Albert and paint that wall.

...or move it.

:ph34r:

post-16790-1183373708.jpg

Kind Regards,

SMJ

I will doubtless be pilloried for saying this but I have always thought that commemorative wall in Albert to be truly awful!

They make a much better job of it in Belfast

Just for interest, this photo is shown as being pipers of 9th Div at Langeval on 14th July but..

Does anyone know where it was taken

I have the pic down as:

7th Seaforth coming out of action 19/7/16 at the Somme, led by Piper "Scott" MacKay.

That date puts it at Delville Wood, with the 9th Div withdrawing to Carnoy and the next day marching farther back to the sand pits near Meaulte.

Ian

This forum is so informative. So its a piper is it? I was under the impression it was a man wrestling with an octopus and loosing.

Check out the thread "Worst,Memorial on the Western Front"

Check out the thread "Worst,Memorial on the Western Front"

Have a stiff drink before you do :wacko:

:lol::lol::lol:

My mate has a model of this piper on a shelf in his house, the model stands about 12-14" high. He bought it on E-Bay for about £16 I think. Looks better on his shelf I must admit. Ralph.

is the piper holding up his pipes or are his pipes holding up the piper?looks like the weight of the stone pipes are too much for the poor piper

Why are we getting a plethora of whitewashed things? I went to see the three graves in Aizecourt le Bas Churchyard a couple of weeks ago, and their headstones have been whitewashed too...Ugh

Jacksmum

taken with my very first digi camera. but is this the worst pic taken of the piper?

jim

Oh why did you have to resurrect the Beast? :P

Jon

Just for interest, this photo is shown as being pipers of 9th Div at Langeval on 14th July but..

Does anyone know where it was taken

In " The Somme Day by Day ", Chris McCarthy, it is given as men of the 26th Brigade, 9th Div. with a piper of 8th Black Watch. Battle of Bazentin ridge. Returning from Longueval. I queried this a long time ago, thinking that the piper's kilt looked much more like a Gordon Tartan, but was told that it was an artefact of the photography of the time.

...... but was told that it was an artefact of the photography of the time.

As opposed to just crap sculpting?

In post 1 the top of the pipes being invisible, it looks like the piper is playing a Saxophone a la Lisa Simpson.

Post 23 is definitely the worst- on the Urinal theme-the man in front looks like he's looking for the start button for the hand drier :blink:

As opposed to just crap sculpting?

:lol: Quality reply Max!

Lyndon

Dear Forum - I humbly apologise for re-opening this dormant thread and exposing you again to the Horror of Longeuval. As penance, I offer you this, which hopefully we can all agree on...

post-2705-1183548781.jpg

I can't help but compare it in my mind with the 51st Division Mem at Newfoundland Memorial Park.

post-16790-1183549836.jpg

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Dear Forum - I humbly apologise for re-opening this dormant thread and exposing you again to the Horror of Longeuval. As penance, I offer you this, which hopefully we can all agree on...

Now how could I possibly argue with that....

Its truely awful...where did we go wrong?

TT

Trench, probably 1914,

July 1st 1916 prehaps?

Gaz