Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help ?

Locheelad

Hi there - can anybody help ?

I have the medal card index for a guy called J Sandeman who got the 1915 star. He was a private in the Black Watch ( no.2148 ) and later joined the RAF ( no. 405292 )

On the index in the bottom right hand box under REMARKS there are the following 2 codes ie : C 921 and

24 8/67

We went to Kew yesterday and nobody could throw any light on the subject as to what these codes mean so i'd be delighted if anybody could.

I'm pretty much an novice here so one other pretty stupid question. This guy survived the war - so why does his index only quote the 1915 medal, should he have not got a few others ?

Your help is truly appreciated - the ultimate aim here is to get his date of birth, death etc

Bob

I may be wrong and am sure other members will correct me if so but the codes look like a conundrum I has a few months ago.

I debated the issue with one of the long serving archivists there for some time and we worked out that i seemed to be the volume number on the Medal Rolls from memory. When I checked, it worked out OK, so perhaps it relates to the volume? In this case, C921 would seem to be the C Roll, page 921 or similar but I am not familiar with the Black Watch numbers? (for example, the Beds are all K numbers, but the BW may be C's)

Also, the lack of the VM etc seems wierd, so could they have been issued under a different card etc, perhaps relating to his RAF service, or was that after the war?

I have no idea about the "C921".

Regarding the "24 8/67" if the entry looks to be in a different hand then I would suggest that an enquiry was made about the individual in August 1967, and a note made on the MIC. I have come across many similar entries all hand written until the 1980s when they are stamped on the card.

Because he transferred to the Royal Air Force him British War and Victory medals will be recorded on his RAF service papers. His number, 405292, imeans his record is not at Kew so you will need to contact the MOD to get his papers. Here: -

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/

http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/service_r...ce_records.html

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies. Appreciated indeed. Am on the case now with the RAF so we'll see if that reveals anything. The writing on the 24 8/67 entry is totally different to the c921 so it looks like an enquiry as highlighted by the Armoured Farmer.

Thanks again

Bob