Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on Palestine

Michael Molkentin

Can anyone recommend any well-written, scholarly books on the Palestine campaign?

As far as I am aware, apart from the relevant volumes in the official histories (British and Australian), there has not been much done on the operations on this front.

Michael,

Welcome to the forum, 'The Operations in Egypt and Palestine August 1914 to June 1917' by A Kearsey, DSO OBE. Gale and Ponden. This was used at the Military College to illustrate the Field Service Regulations, has maps and troop disposition.

Regards Charles

Michael,

I've just finished reading "Forgotten Soldiers of the First World War( Lost Voices from the Middle Eastern Front)" written by David R. Woodward(ISBN 0752438549),Price £20-00).I borrowed my copy from the Library.

"Using personal accounts from the diaries and letters of British Soldiers who served in the First World War,David Woodward describes the experience of combat in Egypt and Palestine. Drawing from unpublished records in the Imperial War Museum,"Forgotten Sodiers of the First World War" paints a vivid picture of life for the British Tommy in conditions vastly different from the Western Front,where heat,sand storms and insects proved just as deadly as the enemy."

Above is the Fly Leaf write up which I cannot disagree with and the Book also discusses tactics and the effectiveness of the Commanders e.g.Murray,Allenby.

George

The Official History - Military Operations Egypt & Palestine in two parts and three volumes (available as a reprint) is a good starting point for a Paestine bibliography and the Kearsey is also very worthwhile.

There is also "The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force 1917 - 1918, originally published by a Cairo Newspaper with official sanction and republished by the HMSO a year later (also available as a reprint). This account is notable for a good collection of illustrative maps.