Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIil Cott Ypres area - where is it?

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Can anyone please tell me where, in the area of Ypres, "Mill Cott" was? I have seen it referred to in the War Diary of C. Battalion of the Tank Corps as marking the parameters of the area to which 8 Company of the Battalion moved up on the eve of being in action on 21-22 August 1917.

Simon,

There are a couple of terrific books you can buy that give details about the salient and where everything is.

(I notice you have asked for lots of directions on the forum)

Before Endeavours Fade: A Guide to the Battlefields of the First World War

By Rose E.B. MBE Coombs

Absolutley briliant book - wouldn't be without it now when out and about in Belgium and France.

All the major battlegrounds of the First World War are featured, photographed and mapped, combining the research, travels and knowledge of the late Rose Coombs with updated text and new photos of some of the memorials

Major and Mrs Holt's Battle Map of the Ypres Salient

By Tonie Holt & Valmai Holt

Flat fold out map similar to those sold by OS.

The only map to show all memorials, cemeteries, forts and ramparts of the battle at the Ypres Salient. These include the battle lines of the first Ypres, the gas attack, second Ypres, Messines and the third Ypres, as well as the sites of the British and German bunkers and museums. The map is drawn accurately to scale and may be used for navigation. Road numbers are clearly indicated. To achieve maximum clarity, only roads, towns, villages, woods, etc that feature regularly in battle accounts, or are essential for orientation, have been included. All roads shown are suitable for family cars.

Hope these help to answer your questions.

Both available from Amazon.

Fleur

Simon,

It's on the road due West of Verlorenhoek. See the map I posted for you on your Pagoda Wood thread. Mill Cott is also on it (along with 2 of your other queries).

Dave.

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks for all the help. I do in fact have Holt and Before Endeavors Fade, but did not think to look at them as I was on holiday and away from my books when I composed the message.