Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National archive download help Clueless

mrs shorty

Hi

Can anyone help me i am new to researching and havent a clue how to use the national archives

a wonderful Pal on the forum told me that you can download war diary extracts on WO 95 1809 but unfortunately every time i try to do this in (search Catalogues) it keeps saying error is there anybody who can tell me the correct actions to take step by step please

Yours clueless Sandra

Hi

Can anyone help me i am new to researching and havent a clue how to use the national archives

a wonderful Pal on the forum told me that you can download war diary extracts on WO 95 1809 but unfortunately every time i try to do this in (search Catalogues) it keeps saying error is there anybody who can tell me the correct actions to take step by step please

Yours clueless Sandra

I think, judging by another thread on here, that the NA website isn't working properly today, so perhaps it's the website rather than anything you are doing. I'd try again another day!

Regards,

Neil.

I think, judging by another thread on here, that the NA website isn't working properly today, so perhaps it's the website rather than anything you are doing. I'd try again another day!

Regards,

Neil.

Unfortunately i have never managed to be able to do a search sucessfully apart from MIC's. so i think i am coming unstuck somewhere aargh.... :angry: Despair

Not all the war diaries are available at the moment, it is an ongoing project. But I normally use the advanced search option here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...ype=powersearch and uncheck all the boxes except the 'Military & Defence' box (under Other Records).

Regards,

Neil.

Not all the war diaries are available at the moment, it is an ongoing project. But I normally use the advanced search option here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...ype=powersearch and uncheck all the boxes except the 'Military & Defence' box (under Other Records).

Regards,

Neil.

Hi Neil thanks for that link it will help me a lot, just a couple of stupid questions i am looking for the west yorkshires 9th war diaries would i put that into the name search or does it have to be a persons name within the diary ?

also is this the right way to enter the code WO/951809

Kind regards Sandra

it wont find a name within the diary, and if you didnt know, the war diaries tend to only mention officers

Hi Neil thanks for that link it will help me a lot, just a couple of stupid questions i am looking for the west yorkshires 9th war diaries would i put that into the name search or does it have to be a persons name within the diary ?

also is this the right way to enter the code WO/951809

Kind regards Sandra

I just put West Yorkshire into the keywords section. There are 206 hits:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;querytype=1

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Neil.

it wont find a name within the diary, and if you didnt know, the war diaries tend to only mention officers

Hi coldstreamer

That is about the only thing i do know i just dont know how to word and enter number in my search to acheive the correct results. as isaid totally clueless :(

Cheers Sandra