Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Quorn, August 1944

Jake Drummond

I'm looking for some information for a friend, whose Uncle was killed aboard HMS QUORN on August 3rd 1944.

Can anyone help find the location of the sinking or any details?

Hello

QUORN was lost with 4 officers and 126 ratings on 3 August 1944. I have the list if required.

The destroyer was sunk probably by a human torpedo. She was operating in the British Assault Area off the Normandy beaches, at 8 knots, when a tremendous explosion occured on the starboard side amidships. The whole of the starboard side of the midship section abreast the funnel was destroyed. The ship immediately took a 40 degress list to starboard and within a minute was on her beam ends, but within 1 3/4 minutes of the explosion had righted herself to a 50 degree list and had breken in two amidships.

Both ends of the ship were observed to sink rapidly until about 30 feet of the stern and 15 feet of the bows were above water.

All best

don

Wow! That was quick!

I'm just done printing my friend's uncles CWGC details and this turns up!

He never knew his uncle, William Beveridge, but knew of the story about a human torpedo and asked if I could find anything more relating to the event. The list of casualties would be helpful Don, as it might well be that he had mates from around here on board with him.

I'll pass on a message to him to view these two excellent posts, and I'm sure he'll be in touch to thank you both.

I'll do so now; thanks Don and Lorac.

He is hooked now, and is off to see if he can find more family history with a view to doing his family tree!