Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returned BW & Victory Medals

Simon Jones

Can anyone interpret the following from the MIC and also BWM & Victory roll which I think refers to the return of the Victory Medal.

Many thanks

Simon

post-1722-1158327505.jpg

post-1722-1158327522.jpg

Looks like the Victory Medal was returned under Kings Regualtion 992 , noted on Certificate Of Return Voucher 74Bd on 11th April 1924 for some adjustment, code 8426.

Mark

Here is the MIC:

post-1722-1158327859.jpg

Thanks very much Mark

I am curious to know if it was returned because he was deceased or does 'adjustment' mean that the medal was returned becasue of an error on the inscription? Do you know what King's Reg 992 was?

Simon

Kings Regulations 992 (1923), I think cover Medals which, at the end of 1 year, remain unclaimed are sent to the Secretary, War Office.

Mark

Looking at some previous posts.

Kings Regulations 1923 Para 992

(a.) An officer recieving medals for issue will arrange for their safe custody.

(b.) When medals are presented to individuals reciepts will be obtained from the recipients.

CRV is a Certified Receipt Voucher.

When medals were taken on charge by the records office, they needed to be recorded using a CRV.

Mark

Mark

Thanks

Simon

I think if unclaimed it would look more like this.

VM/ Retd (unclaimed) CRV/74/ B dt 11/4/24 8426/adt

Mark

Looking at some previous posts.

Kings Regulations 1923 Para 992

(a.) An officer recieving medals for issue will arrange for their safe custody.

(b.) When medals are presented to individuals reciepts will be obtained from the recipients.

CRV is a Certified Receipt Voucher.

When medals were taken on charge by the records office, they needed to be recorded using a CRV.

Mark

Simon

I can't help with the MiC question I'm afraid, but noted your man served in the Buffs & RE, just like my gt grandfather. Do you know which Bn etc he served with & what branch of RE he transferred to, my rellie went into IWT as he had worked as a docker in Tilbury pre-war.

Cheers

Mark

Mark (mhifle) - thanks again.

Mark (Essexboy68)

He served in 7th Buffs and 179th Tunnelling Company RE. He was a miner apparently from Lancashire. A casualty in 7th Buffs two digits away G/1959 Wm T Cranston was born in Wigan – I don’t know why either enlisted in the Buffs, unless they were both miners who moved to work in the Kent coalfields.

Simon

Simon

His service number (if it has a G prefix) puts him nicely into the 7th Battalion. I wonder why he didn't go overseas with them in 1915. Are you sure he had a G prefix?

I have noticed a few other Buffs who transferred to the Tunnelling Companies. Would you like their details?

Mick

Steve

I can confirm that there is a gap in the New Army BWM/VM numbers so it is likely that he was a G prefix.

I can pinpoint his enlistment date to the 7th or 8th September 1914.

A sample of 45 men with adjacent numbers reveals postings to the following Battalions:

1st = 1

2nd = 2

6th = 3

7th = 33

8th = 6

Mick

Simon

I have noticed a few other Buffs who transferred to the Tunnelling Companies. Would you like their details?

Mick

Yes please!

There is another MIC which gives his date overseas but strangely gives his battalion as the E Surreys, but with the same number 1955 – but no G prefix on either card. You will see the date overseas 28/7/1915 matches that of the 7th Buffs. The SWB roll gives his enlistment date as 8/9/1914 – so you are spot on.

My specific interest in Dunn is that a letter from him is reproduced in the book ‘Sapper Dorothy Lawrence’ as evidence that her story was true, she mentions him as a Lancashire miner in 179th Tunnelling Company who gives her a Buffs cap badge.

I am building up a database of 179th Tunnelling Company personnel. Most of the transfers in August – October were from 51st and 18th Divisions, i.e. the divisions in the La Boisselle sector and I have been able to identify some of the batches of men mentioned in the War Diary with the MICs by extrapolating numbers from the RE number sequence either side of known transfers.

The only other E Kent man that I have identified however is Spr George C Adams 86193 RE and S/9990 Buffs, who the 179th Coy War Diary shows as wounded 29/12/15. His MIC shows he was also with 174th Tunnelling Company, who were also in 18th Division sector.

regards

Simon

post-1722-1158579480.jpg

Simon

Here are the guys. They are from the 1914 star roll and were originally with the 1st Buffs. The 1914/15 star and BWM/VM rolls do not show men transferred from the Buffs. I thought there were more but most of the guys you are talking about would have been 1914/15 star men.

I'm pretty sure there was an officer either attached or transferred who became a casualty. I can't for the life of me remember who it was so I'll trawl through my service records

The dates are when they first went overseas

L6573 LCPL HAMMOND WE 07/09/1914 139135 177 TUNNEL COY

L6496 PTE OYLER J 07/09/1914 139137 182 TUNNEL COY

S178 PTE PITTMAN R 09/11/1914 88195 174 TUNNEL COY A/SGT

L6720 PTE WATSON FW 07/09/1914 147605 177 TUNNEL COY

Mick