Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HOOD bttn.

staffsreg

Is the concensus of opinion that the HOOD battalion were an 'elite' body of troops?

were they used as 'troubleshooters to plug gaps, break through stiff opposition etc,

or are they comparable to 'standard' county regiments?

cheers, Ivan.

They were a good and well proven battalion that saw a lot of action and they may have found themselves as first pick for many a job because of that, but I havent ever regarded them as a recognised elite force, although two of my favourite characters from WW1 served with Hood - Tobin and Murray.

True the Hood's officers were the pick of the intelligentsa in 1914 but most of those were dead by 1916. Of course Freyberg and Asquith survived and it was in their manner to promote Hood for any difficult tasks that Brigade or higher may have had to deal with.

Is the concensus of opinion that the HOOD battalion were an 'elite' body of troops?

were they used as 'troubleshooters to plug gaps, break through stiff opposition etc,

or are they comparable to 'standard' county regiments?

cheers, Ivan.

Hood Bn was one of four (later three) battalions in one of three brigades of the Royal Naval Division. Hood Bn. certainly had its share of colourful, talented and brave men (Asquith, Freyberg, etc) and fought well, as did the sister battalions in the Division, naval, marine and army. The RND as a whole won a formidable reputation as a 'stormer' division in the BEF.

Thanks chums,

when and why were they formed, and in what year were they disbanded...?

I am loathe to admit that i Know very little of these brave men and would love to know more!

i purchased a' STEADY HOOD' cap badge recently and this sparked my interest.

much obliged,

Ivan.

There will be a lot on teh web and probably the mothersite about HOOD and their history and formation but perhaps you should try Len Sellers The Hood Battalion.

For the full story you should read the Divisional History - "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold. On Hood Bn, get hold of "The Hood Battalion" by Leonard Sellers and "Command in the Royal Naval Division" by Captain Christopher Page. The RND formed in August 1914 and the remaining naval battalions disbanded in 1919.

I shall do just that.....

thanks for your time.

Ivan

• 2 weeks later...

The Hood battalion was part of the 63rd Royal Naval Division which was in the top 7 divisions in the British Army in WW1 suffering over 40,000 casualties.Developed from scratch in 1914 consisting of The Royal Marines,Royal Fleet Reserve and the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve mainly.Fought at the defence of Antwerp,Gallipoli,and the throughout France and Flanders up to the armastice in November 1918.Regards Bob. :)

The 63rd Royal Naval Division.Gone but never forgotten.1914 - 1918.

For the full story you should read the Divisional History - "The Royal Naval Division" by Douglas Jerrold. On Hood Bn, get hold of "The Hood Battalion" by Leonard Sellers and "Command in the Royal Naval Division" by Captain Christopher Page.

I know Jerrold has been republished by N&M, but is Len's book still in print?

Mick