Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Edward Troop ship

stevem49

William Joseph Nolan, aged 39, from Waterford is on the "drowned" crew members list.

dave.

From CWGC:

Sailor WILLIAM JOSEPH NOLAN

S.S. "Royal Edward" (Toronto), Mercantile Marine

who died age 39

on 13 August 1915

Son of Kate Nolan (nee Swedmoor), of 8, St. Alphonsus Rd., Waterford, and the late George Nolan. Born at Waterford.

Remembered with honour

TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

EDIT: If Kate Nolan's maiden name is wrong, CWGC will correct it, Williamp.

I am researching the crew of the Royal Edward & have crew lists so will look to see if more details.

My grandfather, a soldier, also died;

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry...olglasepage.htm

Kath.

For information of anyone researching the Royal Edward, The Imperial War Museum's Sound Archive has an interview with a survivor, Pte Arthur Bonney of 2nd SWB.

Mike

Thanks very much for the help. This is definately my great uncle. Will get back to you re mother's maiden name spelling. The address in Waterford do we know as of what date was?

I don't think it has been mentioned, but there is a book on the Royal Edward and its sinking - "Fastest to Canada"

Author Oliff, Richard

ISBN-10 1857942337

ISBN-13 9781857942330

Format PB

Publisher Silver Link Publishing

Steve.

Williamp: "address in Waterford".

This would have been the address supplied by William Joseph Nolan.

A Final Verification Form was sent to the family, at this address, immediately after the war to verify the information for publishing in the Memorial Register.

I've looked through the crew lists for the Royal Edward & her sister ship, the Royal George, but didn't find Nolan.

He must have joined the Royal Edward for the first time on this trip.

Kath.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guy's,

Just a newby looking for some help! My Ancestor - Albert Channing Brummitt served with the Royal Norfolk Regiment and the Royal Essex Regiment and we think was lost in the sinking of HMT Royal Edward. My understanding is that there is a casualty list in circulation which should also tell us information about his enlistment and which town he came from.

regards

Tiffie

Welcome to the Forum, Tiffie.

Yes, Albert Channing Brummitt is on the Cape Helles Memorial in the Essex Regt. panels of those lost on HMT Royal Edward.

CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=682530

An account here of another Essex Regt. man:

http://www.paulinedodd.com/royaledward.html

SDGW has him as BrummEtt.

Born: Stratford, Norwich

Enlisted:Norwich

Residence: Norwich

Formerly 10215 Norfolk Regt.

Died At Sea.

Kath.

Spare a moment to remember the Merchant Navy seamen who also died. This man is on my local church ROH here in Bristol.

Henry Brown

Age 52

Carpenter

3 Cotswold Road, Windmill Hill, Bristol

Panel 15 Merchant Navy Memorial, Tower Hill London

Drowned with over 130 of his shipmates.

post-21884-1270981375.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Tiffie.

Yes, Albert Channing Brummitt is on the Cape Helles Memorial in the Essex Regt. panels of those lost on HMT Royal Edward.

CWGC:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=682530

An account here of another Essex Regt. man:

http://www.paulinedodd.com/royaledward.html

SDGW has him as BrummEtt.

Born: Stratford, Norwich

Enlisted:Norwich

Residence: Norwich

Formerly 10215 Norfolk Regt.

Died At Sea.

Kath.

Hi Kath,

Many thanks for your prompt reply - with the priceless information giving a new arrow to my search quiver.

regards

Tiffie

• 1 year later...

There were also Lancashire troops on the "Royal Edward" which was torpedoed on13 August 1915. Some casualties were from Burnley. My gandfather's brother, James Munro, was drowned when the ship was sunk . He was in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Jamrs Munro was 23 years old and a member of 2nd/2nd East Lancashire Field Ambulance. His parents where Sarah and James, living at 41 Barden Lane, Burnley.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

On 13th August 1915 HMT Royal Edward, built 1908, 11,117 grt, was sunk by torpedo from German U-boat UB 14 in position 36.13N, 25.51E, 6 miles W from Kandeliusa in the Aegean Sea. She was carrying troops and government stores from Avonmouth & Alexandria to Mudros, and was owned by Canadian Northern Steamships Ltd of Toronto. 132 members of her crew died.

I don't have any figures for the number of troops who were lost.

Best wishes

David

History David,

Please do you know what happened to Royal Edward's sister ship Royal George in WW1?

Thanks, Sloop.

Williamp: "address in Waterford".

This would have been the address supplied by William Joseph Nolan.

A Final Verification Form was sent to the family, at this address, immediately after the war to verify the information for publishing in the Memorial Register.

I've looked through the crew lists for the Royal Edward & her sister ship, the Royal George, but didn't find Nolan.

He must have joined the Royal Edward for the first time on this trip.

Kath.

Kath,

Do you mean all the crew lists for these ships or just those in the war years ?

Please where / how did you access these records ?

Best Regards, Sloop

• 1 year later...
Guest Tigrtony

My Great Grandfather went down on this ship. I believe he was with the 2nd Battalion Royal Hampshire Rgmnt bound for Gallipoli. His name was Spearink. We are approaching the 100th anniversary of the sinking in three years (August 13th. 2015). I'm thinking about forming a committee to consider the feasability of organizing a 100th anniversary memorial visit to the site. It went down near the Island of Kos, Greece. The British Government used a hospital ship to conduct a memorial service at the site due to the great loss of life. This was to thwart a possible attack by a U-Boat.

There are so many of us that owe their existence to those men, I think it would be great to honor their sacrifice in this way. The party would stay in hotels on the island and we would charter every available vessal to ferry us to the actual site for the 9:15 a.m service on August 13th. I'm sure there would have to be Chaplains that would take the trip, and the event would definitely capture the attention of the media.

Please respond With any thoughts or ideas on this thought.

Thanks, Tony

Tony,

"I believe he was with the 2nd Battalion Royal Hampshire Rgt" :

From the CWGC:

SPEARINK, FREDERICK

Service No:11945

Date of Death:13/08/1915

Regiment/Service:Hampshire Regiment 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference:

Panel 125-134 or 223-226 228-229 & 328.

Memorial

HELLES MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Husband of Sarah Ellen Spearink, of 9, Marian Rd., Greyhound Lane, Streatham, London.

Kath.

Tony,

Have you read:

"Fastest to Canada: The 'Royal Edward' from Govan to Gallipoli" by Richard Oliff?

Kath.

Hello, it`s a bit of a longshot but would anyone have a photo of my Great Uncle Pte George William BAILEY, Essex Regt 20589. Drowned at Sea on the Royal Edward. Previously Norfolk Regt 11461 and Royal Scots Greys. Any other info would also be great. He was born at Browston, Norfolk and was one of seven brothers that served.Thanks. Joe.

Tony,

Quote"The British Government used a hospital ship to conduct a memorial service at the site due to the great loss of life. This was to thwart a possible attack by a U-Boat. "

Where have you got this information from, please?

From The Times, Tuesday. September. 7th. 1915.

page 5.

The news quickly reached Alexandria, where the hospital ship Devanha was getting ready to sail, and at the suggestion of the captain it was arranged that a memorial service should be held at the scene of the disaster.

Kath.

• 3 months later...

My great Grandfather LCpl Robert Burton Lancashire Fusiliers was on the Royal Edward. I have a copy of a letter he wrote from Alexandra after the sinking. He wrote that he was sucked under when the ship sank but the boilers exploded and he ended up back on the surface clinging to wreckage for 8 hours.

After a two week stay in the 29th Div Rest Camp he finally reached Gallipoli only to be wounded by either a gun shot wound or a shell and he lost a leg.

He was 54 or 55 and had joined the Cameron Highlands in 1885 and had been wounded in the Egyptian campaign and had served in the Boer War as well.

Hundreds of horses were also on board the Royal Edward as part of the resupply and reinforcement.

The stupid predictive text amended Alexandria above!

Aaarrggh!

Cameron Highlanders

• 10 months later...

Does anyone have a copy of the passenger list of the Royal Edward when it left Aveonmouth 28th. July 1915. I am trying to establish whether or not my great uncle George Warren was on board and if he was on board which unit he was with. He was originally with the RAMC Reg. No. 43997, then transferred to 2nd. Bat. South Wales Borderers Reg. No. 3/24825. He arrived in Gallipoli 26th. August 1915. I do not know whether at this Point he was still with the RAMC or already with the SWB. The only reference I have of reinforcements arriving around this time are extracted from the war diary of the 2nd. Bat. SWB. "27th. August 1915 08.30 pm. Draft of 1Sgt and 10 men arrived being all that remained of a draft of 83 who came out on the Royal Edward when she was torpedoed between Alexandria and Lemnos". George was killed in Action 2nd. December 1915 and is buried Skew Bridge Cemetery Special Memorial B16.

Rothweb

I was looking at the files for this loss,and departure from the UK,at Kew in the past summer. In keeping with other outbound manifests for these military transports only the Officers are named,other ranks are listed by numbers present on board under Regiment.

Hello rothweb,

Welcome to the Great War Forum.

I looked at Georges Medal Index Card which shows which Regiment he was serving with when he first entered a theatre of war. The MIC shows he was serving in the South Wales Borderers Regt. on, as you noted, the 26th. So George transferred from the RAMC to the SWB sometime prior to that. If you have a look at the Long, Long Trail (top of this page, on the header bar) it will give you lot`s of info which will help you to research your GG Uncle.

All the best. Joe.