Remembered Today:

Sjt E.W.A.Lester D.C.M. Royal Engineers

gunner100

Hi

I would like to ask if anyone may have some records or details about:

Sjt E.W.A.Lester Royal Engineers

Date of Death 9th June 1917

468th (North Midland) Field Company

He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal and his citation is for conspicuous ability rather than gallantry yet I also have a copy of an insertion possibly in the War Illustrated or some other publication which has him pictured with the text below that he had

'courageously entered No-man's land to save a fellow soldier'

It is strange that this is not mentioned in his citation which is for 'ability' when taking over a work party when his officer had been wounded.

The Sjt's initials are pretty specific and name and rank and corps would lead me to 100% say the Medals and the paper cuttin are definitely the same man but where the information came from for his gallant act I do not know!

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Kind regards

Peter

I have a lot of information on Ernest Lester.

He came from Walsall Wood was among the first recruits to join 2nd North Midland Field Company, Royal Engineers at Norton Hall at Norton Canes. Lester was 26 years old at the time of his enlistment and was employed as an electrician at the Aldridge Colliery. In August 1914, he held the rank of Sergeant. He transferred to 2/1st North Midland Field Company and went with them to France in March 1915.

Lester was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal in 1915 after his actions during 46th (North Midland) Division's assault on the Hohenzollern Redoubt on 13th October 1915. The 2/1st North Midland Field Company, commanded by Major James Selby Gardner , had been placed under the command of Divisional Headquarters and was put in charge of operating a searchlight mounted on wagon. The searchlight was to be used to illuminate any counter-attacks the Germans might make once the position had been taken. Having manhandled the wagon into position, the operating detachment, under Lieutenant Frank Eagle, was in position by 4.00 p.m. and awaited further orders. The orders came an hour later and at 5.05 p.m. the searchlight was switched on for a minute's duration at five-minute intervals. The beam drew heavy machine gun fire from the Germans. As Major Gardner went up to the searchlight position to check on developments, he was wounded in the neck. The rest of the Company were used as carrying parties, bringing up petrol cans filled with water from Vermelles for the troops in the firing line to drink. It was recorded that the sappers took up some forty gallons of water to the front line. Sergeant Lester was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his leadership during the action. As well as rescuing several wounded soldiers from No Man's Land, he on one occasion waded waist-deep into a pool of water to recover an injured man.

He was killed on 9th June 1917 with three other men of 468th (2/1st North Midland) Field Company while they were having breakfast in their billet at Bully-Grenay. He is buried in Bully-Grenay Cemetery Extension.

I have the following on him.

Ernest Wyndham Arthur LESTER D.C.M.

Sergeant 486363

468th (North Midland) Field Company, Royal Engineers

Died in France on Saturday 9 June 1917

Ernest was born in Ogmore Glamorgan and was a married man living at Woodland Villa, Coppice Road, Walsall Wood with his wife and 3 children. He was employed in the electrical department at the Aldridge Colliery where his father was the Manager and was a member of the Walsall Polytechnic Cycling Club in his spare time. He had been connected with the Territorial section of the Royal Engineers since 1908 and was mobilised at the outbreak of war being drafted overseas in early 1915.

Ernest was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery displayed during the Battle of Loos, the citation reading,

“During a heavy bombardment he courageously left the trenches and under heavy fire succeeded in rescuing various wounded men who were lying helpless between the opposing lines. The exploit was, of course, fraught with danger, but with scarce a thought of the risk he was running, the gallant soldier bravely went to the aid of those in distress, and in this way saved several lives. In one instance he had to wade waist deep in water.”

Ernest was killed whilst he was in billets at Bully-Grenay when a shell struck as he was having breakfast. He is buried in Bully-Grenay Communal Cemetery, British Extension in Grave IV.A.2.

Andrew,

thankyou so much for taking the time to provide me with this information. I really appreciate the background history you have provided.

May I ask where this originates from? As I would like to obtain copies to keep.

What I do not understand is his citation being relatively different from the facts. They seem to have not been so concerned with him saving his fellow soldier!

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Graeme

thankyou so much for the information you have provided as the background is so valuable.

May I ask where you found the information as I would like to obtain copies?

Andrews and your responses have really made my day to find out so much from yourselves about Sjt Lester.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Peter

I have copies of the relevant reports from the Walsall Observer, together with a photo of Sergeant Lester and a photo of his grave at Bully Grenay. I researched the history of 1/2nd North Midland Field Company RE some years ago, and have this information in my notes.

Hi Andrew

many thanks for the reply.

Could I ask if you could supply copies of this material - I am more than happy to pay for this or if you require a frame for medals perhaps?

Many thanks

Peter

post-10072-1158689040.jpg

Peter,

I have the picture. I do not know if Andrew has anything better. This is from either the Walsall Pioneer or Observer, I forget which now!

Regards, Graeme

post-10072-1158689046.jpg

• 11 years later...

His widow, Lilian Gertrude, married a former officer in the RE, Ronald Light. He was the defendant in the Green Bicycle Case in 1920.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm doing some research on men of the 46th Division. Does anyone have a picture of Sgt Lester's DCM they would be kind enough to send? All the best.John

• 3 months later...

His 2 sons lived to quite a big age, but anybody know if they were reunited with Lilian as I read she put them in orphanage after dad died.   She kept daughter though   What became of dcm

• 4 years later...

Hello, 

I am Sgt Ernest Wyndham Arthur Lester’s great granddaughter. His eldest son, Sidney Wyndham was my maternal grandfather. Mum told us that her dad was killed in an accident when she was 7 years old. I later found out that wasn’t true and Sidney had died in his 80’s in 1982. 
I am learning about Sgt Lester for the first time and have only recently seen a picture of him.  
Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you, 

Julie Hurden 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Julie, I think that you and @Lily may well have been in touch recently, and I visited his grave on your behalf last year. 

Hi Michelle, 

Thank you! I felt I should join!
Yes! I am now in touch with Lily’s father and we are exchanging information. He is also Sgt Lester’s great grandchild. 
I was going to message you to let you know! I shared the pictures with him that you had sent me of Sgt Leater’s grave and the cross you placed there for me. 
I am so grateful for all your help. 

Julie 

• Admin

See also