Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French WW1 Veterans Still Surviving

Hedley Malloch

According to reports recently appearing in the French press there were 68 WW1 veterans still alive on 11 November 2002. The youngest is 102, the oldest 108, the average age is 104.

I still think the most remarkable French WW1 longevity statistic was that quoted in 1987 on the 70th anniversary of the outbreak of the battle of Verdun when it was announced that, at that time, there were still 20 women drawing pensions because they had lost their sons during that battle.

The last veteran in Alsace who fought under the German flag is M. Charles Kuentz. He's a hale and hearty 105. Although he's a French national today, he can't be decorated with the Legion of Honour like all the other remaining French veterans since he fought for the other side. Coming from Alsace, he's changed nationality four times in his lifetime and is very quick to say that he's delighted to have lived long enough to see the European Union. His father, who died in his 90s, actually changed nationality five times.

Christina Holstein.

A very interesting point Christina.

I have never thought to ask the number of veterans that may still be living in Germany from the First World War.

Does anyone know if there are any such men left?

The poor people of Alsace in the early 20th Century,must have been very thankfull for the end of WW2.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

Some months ago, I heard that the last belgian veteran of ww1 living in Anderlecht near Brussels, died.

I am very glad to hear that nevertheless a belgian veteran is still alive. Could you, Gil, give some more information.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Hello,

I believe the last Belgian veteran lives in America, if I'm not mistaken, I read about him in the papers shortly after the death of Paul Ooghe.

Jan