Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Day & Date Information

Will O'Brien

I'm banking on Terry knowing this one.

I have noticed that the CWGC site no longer bring up the day (e.g Monday, Tuesday etc) with the date of death. Whilst not essential for research purposes, it was a nice touch. Any reason for this now being omitted?

Will

(Sorry if this question has been asked before but couldn't find any similar threads)

The matter has not really occured to me before - as you say the item of information is not really required by most people. I noticed the change but thought it to be of no consequence.

The day was added originally (I believe) to try to make the record look more 'personal' and the 'day' was computer generated. Many computer programs have this facility.

The reason for its omission has not been mentioned to me but I will ask. It may just have been overlooked or there may be a good technical reason!

Will

I received an answer to my question this morning.

It was felt that the 'day of the week' added nothing to the record and did not suit the revised Certificate layout. Apparently they have not received any significant number of comments one way or the other about this and so it seems their judgement was correct.

Will/Bob (and others): I found this site in trying to determine weather conditions for certain days.

http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?count...try=9&year=1917

I agree that sometimes knowing if it was a Tuesday he went over the top or a holiday Sunday is relevant.

Peter (still wishing for a 1917 weather site)

Terry

Many thanks for checking this out for me. It's fair comment from the CWGC even if I like Bob miss the feature. Not that it matters too much as Peter has provided the perfect solution :D

Peter

Great site reference. Hours of time wasting!

I am really hacked off because I have missed the day this year when I was 20,000 days old!!!!!

It was felt that the 'day of the week' added nothing to the record and did not suit the revised Certificate layout. Apparently they have not received any significant number of comments one way or the other about this and so it seems their judgement was correct.

I also thought the day of the week was a nice touch.