Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Site.

Simon Furnell

Evening all.

I was looking at the new CWGC site,just checking up on a couple of officers from my Great grandads MG Company,who were KIA on the 20.9.17,when i decided to look up my relations entries on the site.

Imagine my surprise,when i found that one of them had been changed.

John Allum,my other great grandad,was KIA on the 27.9.18,while serving with the Labour corps.

I found his number,and Labour company number,through this website,thanks to Ivor Lee.

His original entry mentioned his Royal Berks service number,but only mentioned he was attached to the Labour Corps,and gave no details of either his service number with the Labour Corps,or the Labour Company number.

Now they are both there.

Have the commision,gone through all of the records of these men,and updated them,fully?

I haven't been in touch with them to change the information.

It was wonderfull to see the change,but a little bit puzziling.

Any ideas,chaps?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Simon.

Not every record has been re-checked but a very large number have!

This information was in the database all the time but did not appear on the public site. There has been a concerted effort to supply all unit information which exists in the database including that from subsidiary regiments/units etc.

Overall there has been a major exercise to rectify the numerous scanning errors and deficiencies in the old internet site. This process is still continuing today.

Not all such errors will have been found and so, if you spot any, let me know but please remember that the site includes only the amendments made up to the beginning of June - many more have been made since.

Simon

Thank you for posting this information.

A few years ago I obtained a Labour Corps printout from the CWGC but after your posting I started re-checking the men who they did not have regimental numbers or companies. As a result the database is getting more accurate.

:rolleyes: