Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Orion

Guest ECMaitland

Guest ECMaitland

My grandfather joined HMS Orion in January 1917, aged 17, at the start of his 30 year naval career. I have managed to find quite a lot of information about the ship and about her role in the early part of the War, but nothing so far about what she was doing in 1917 - 1919.

Can anyone point me in the direction of good sources of information please ?

Thanks

Emma

Emma

Orion was part of the 2nd Battle Squadron of the Grand Fleet and based in Scapa Flow,it seems for the duration of WW1,from what I can see for the moment. Her only outing of significance was for the Battle of Jutland in 1916,whetre she was recorded as firing 51 large shells at the German Fleet,receiving no damage herself. The only item I can pass to you is that the ship's diaries are in the National Archives at Kew under the reference ADM53/ 53710 (January 1917) through to ADM53/53733 (December 1918). They go on past this date in monthly sequence through 1919.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Guest ECMaitland

Thanks sotonmate, looks like I will have to get myself to the National Archives !

My grandfather, Jack Cullingford, "missed" the Battle of Jutland as he did not join up, at the age of 15, until a couple of months later. The old family legend had it that he was at Jutland as a cabin boy to one of the Admirals, but I fear this is probably just a legend due to the dates - my theory is that as Orion seems to have been the flagship of Admiral Goodenough in 1917, perhaps my "boy" grandfather served him then.

Unfortunately grandad died many years ago when I was a small child and never spoke to his family of his time at sea - I'm gradually reconstructing his adventures, but what I would give to have been able to ask him !

Thanks again

Emma