Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Endon, Staffordshire

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

post-11197-1158085350.jpg

post-11197-1158085403.jpg

In the churchyard of St. Lukes in Endon there is a memorial to the Endon parish's fallen.

It only has the name and rank of the fallen nothing else and I have searched the SDGW and ODGW and the NA to find the info.

I can't find any info of the following

PTE COLUMBELL ALFRED

PTE. FROST JAMES

2ND LIEU HARDING HOMER

1ST LIEU HULME ERNEST

Please can anyone help me find their unit btn. date of death and where and any other info would be much appreciated.

The only 2nd Lt Harding is this chap

HARDING, H Second Lieutenant 03/10/1918 Unknown Indian Army Reserve of Officers Indian Face 28. MADRAS 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL, CHENNAI

A poet, no less;

Name: HULME, THOMAS ERNEST

Initials: T E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Artillery

Unit Text: Naval Siege Bty.

Date of Death: 28/09/1917

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Mary Hulme, of Endon, Staffs. One of the war poets.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 2.

Cemetery: COXYDE MILITARY CEMETERY

Alfred Collumbell is probably this man, given the regimental connection, but his absence from the CWGC list would make it likely that he died following discharge from the Army.

Medal card of Collumbell, Alfred

Corps Regiment No Rank

North Staffordshire Regiment 16971 Private

7th North Staffordshire Regiment 16971 Private

Date 1914-1920

I don't know Endon - but a quick 'Google' seems to place it close to Brown Edge, so................

Name: FROST

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: North Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/03/1917

Service No: 201542

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Enos Frost, of Mission House, Brown Edge, Stoke-on-Trent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. A. 1.

Cemetery: SHRINE CEMETERY, BUCQUOY

And finally, Chris' suggestion of H Harding, Indian Army is correct - he was Homer Jonathan Harding, a 2nd Lieutenant, Indian Army, late 13th Hussars, died at Bangalore, India, 3rd October 1918, aged 22 (birth recorded in Leek registration district, December 1/4 1895). Now commemorated on the Madras 1914-1918 War Memorial, Chennai.

I think his brother, Gordon George Harding, was killed when H.M. S/M M1 was lost in 1925.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Guest KevinEndon

Next question no doubt answered by N.S. lol is where the eck is Alfred Collumbell buried. He is the only one messing up a rememberance day project I am doing for my lads school.

Guest KevinEndon

Just found out the spelling of Columbell on the memorial is different from the M I C which has it as Collumbell. My luck has it that he is still not mentioned on SDGW or CWGC. The head is going back in the oven. :ph34r:

Kevin,

I would suggest the best way to identify Alfred Collumbell is to post a request on the Forum for one of the genealogists to look up in the GRO Indexes when he died (and where). With that info you should then be able to go to a local newspaper (local to Eldon) and look up the period to see if there is any mention of the circumstances of his death, and hopefully some funeral details (which may indicate where he is buried).

As I said in one of my previous posts his absence from both the CWGC and SDGW files would tend to indicate that he had been discharged from the Army and was no longer a serving soldier when he died (and did not die of a war-service related illness either).

You might also ask Terry Denham to look up for you where Homer Harding is actually buried (a lot of the war graves in India have been declared unmaintainable and so the men are now commemorated on memorials, although their graves may well still exist).

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hey, I just idly did a Google on Alfred Collumbell, and found this info on

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/...Hanley/MIs.html :

Memorial inscriptions for Hanley, Staffs

Alfred COLLUMBELL,

N.S.Regt of Wesley Place, Endon,

Served at the Dardenelles, 1 July 1919, 36

James, h/o Gladys May TEECE,

11 Feb 1972, 66, son in law of the above,

Florence COLLUMBELL, mother,

19 Aug 1978, 93

Gladys May TEECE,

18.5.1907 - 3.1.1993

But perhaps you knew all this part already?

Angela

EDIT

Just tried to get my head round the relationships spelt out above.

Looks like Alfred was married to Florence

and that they had a daughter Gladys, who married James.

• 10 months later...

I will be in touch soon with some data

• 10 years later...

I am a direct relative of all the Harding's commemorated at Endon, they were my Great Uncles. There was another brother, my grand father Frederick Harding who survived the war. He was in the Shelton Battery of the Royal Field Artillery (TA) and he was called to his unit when he was with his wife in a Cinema which during a flick told all service men to report to units. He went out late 1914 and served until late 1918. His best friend was his elder brother, Levi Farrington was killed and missing in March 1918. He is named at the Poziers memorial. My late father told me that his father died 1959 regretted never being able to visit the place where his best friend was killed so in about 1999 I went with my wife to place a RBL wreath under his name. Levi Farrington's mother, my great grand mother always though he would turn up one day as she thought he had been shell shocked and could not remember who he was. Shame that never occurred. I would be happy to give any other info if I have it.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, MClarke said:

Hello Richard I am a decendant of Levi from his youngest daug Marjorie Harding. Would be interested in swaping information and stories.

Sadly, Richard hasn't visited the Forum since June last year so may well not see your message.

• 1 year later...
On 12/09/2006 at 20:49, Northern Soul said:

Alfred Collumbell is probably this man, given the regimental connection, but his absence from the CWGC list would make it likely that he died following discharge from the Army.

As this thread has popped up again I thought a quick update might perhaps be of interest to someone, now or in the future.

COLLUMBELL - Now commemorated by CWGC https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75228928/ALFRED COLLUMBELL

Died 1 July 1919 - Death appears to have been registered at Leek, Volume 06B, Page 214

Pension card at WFA/Fold3 records he died of Bronchitis, Asthma, Pneumonia, Cardiac failure

:-) Maddition

Edited by Matlock1418
addit