Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C.G. SHIER

mhifle

Looking at the memorial list at Wesley College, Dublin I noticed a name C.G Shier which I remembered from a book I had read about Irish Palatine Families. I checked and found a photo of him. I have downloaded his Medal Card and found his war grave listing.

In Memory of

Lance Corporal CHRISTOPHER GEORGE SHIER

25781, (1921). 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn., Royal Irish Regiment

who died age 29

on 30 November 1917

Son of Esther M. Shier, of Prospect House, Barrigone, Co. Limerick, and the late Joseph Shier.

Remembered with honour

CROISILLES BRITISH CEMETERY

Does the photo of him relate in anyway to information on the Medal Card? How much information can be taken from his medal card?

Thanks Mark

Looking at the memorial list at Wesley College, Dublin I noticed a name C.G Shier which I remembered from a book I had read about Irish Palatine Families. I checked and found a photo of him. I have downloaded his Medal Card and found his war grave listing.

In Memory of

Lance Corporal CHRISTOPHER GEORGE SHIER

25781, (1921). 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn., Royal Irish Regiment

who died age 29

on 30 November 1917

Son of Esther M. Shier, of Prospect House, Barrigone, Co. Limerick, and the late Joseph Shier.

Remembered with honour

CROISILLES BRITISH CEMETERY

Does the photo of him relate in anyway to information on the Medal Card? How much information can be taken from his medal card?

Thanks Mark

post-14045-1158005518.jpg

post-14045-1158005556.jpg

Hello Mark

The information on the photograph (which is also identical withe CWGC entry) is absolutely consistent with the MIC.

Obviously there is no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star so he eneterd the theatre of war post 31/12/15.

There appears to be a transcription error on the KIA of 3/11/17 as opposed to 30/11/17.

Regards

Mel

Thanks Mel ,

I was just wondering about the cap badge is that South Irish Horse?

Mark

Hello Mark

The information on the photograph (which is also identical withe CWGC entry) is absolutely consistent with the MIC.

Obviously there is no entitlement to the 1914-15 Star so he eneterd the theatre of war post 31/12/15.

There appears to be a transcription error on the KIA of 3/11/17 as opposed to 30/11/17.

Regards

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

He was a South Irish Horseman transferred to the Royal Irish Regiment.

Along with the War Diary entry all we know about him are his MIC and medal roll, Soldiers' Died entry and CWGC record as well as the entry you have from Wesley College.

I've searched for his service papers at the National Archives and found none.

The book he is mentioned in is "People Make Places" by Patrck J. O,Connor, Oireacht na Mumhan Books.

pages 185-186. "He died in heroic circumstances at Cambrai in northern France in 1917."

Mark

Mark,

He was a South Irish Horseman transferred to the Royal Irish Regiment.

Along with the War Diary entry all we know about him are his MIC and medal roll, Soldiers' Died entry and CWGC record as well as the entry you have from Wesley College.

I've searched for his service papers at the National Archives and found none.