Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity tag J Bonnington type WWI or other?

petermuir

I am curious to know if the attached image is of a WWI identity tag.

It appears to be made out of compressed card. It is approximately one and three eighths inches in diameter and a sixteenth of an inch thick. The disk is stamped on one side only. Around the perimeter are the letters: D.37405.BONNINGTON.J.

In the centre are two letters CE which appear to have been mis-stamped at first attempt.

I had an great uncle James Bonnington who was in the Highland Light Infantry and fought in WW1. However his regiment number was 13330 and his religion would have been Church of Scotland.

Your comments and observations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Bob Bonnington

post-14930-1158000358.jpg

WW1 tags were made out of fibre material from 1914; it was the 1906 pattern ones that were metal, although many troops continued to wear them throughout the war.

The 1914 tag was circular and red (like the one shown).

In 1916 the No1 and No2 discs were introduced, the No1 being a red fibre disc, the No2 being lozenge shaped and in a sort of grey coloured fibre. The No1 disc was removed from the body, the No2 remaining in place (unlike Hollywood where the hero usually dramatically snaps the retaining string/chain from around his dead buddy's neck, taking both discs from the body!).

What makes me think that these may be WW2 is that the unit is not shown. The WW1 tags usually had the unit stamped on them. (perhaps this changed later in the war - I'm not sure?). WW2 ones did usually have the blood group on the rear, though.

I believe this is a contributory factor to the number of unknown graves from WW1 (and the high number of unknowns recorded on memorials). I've seen orders for raids in war diaries specifically instructing participants to be searched to ensure they have nothing on them to identify their unit, including discs. This means, of course, that should they become a casualty and their body not be recovered by someone who knew them, and especially if buried by the enemy, identification would be pretty much impossible.

I know this sounds counter intuative since the red came before the green, but the No. 1 was the lozenge (green) and the Red became the No. 2 IAW AO 287/16.

They were actually made of vulcanized asbestos fibre.

Joe Sweeney

It could still be the right man, Bob, in spite of the wrong religion. Would a WW1 identity disc be stamped "CS" for Church of Scotland? I believe that the Church of Scotland wasn't officially recognised until the arrival of the Church of Scotland Act of 1921.

In that case, what would be stamped instead? Would "CE" be the nearest available alternative?

Tom

I think Dave would be the best source for this info but Religiuos codes I've seen and I have the WWI list somewhere I believe (at least to 1914) only had (going from memory)

RC--Roman Catholic

CE--Church of England

P Presbyterian

B-- baptist or C-- Congregationalist

J--Jew.

W--Wesleyan

Joe Sweeney

I know this sounds counter intuative since the red came before the green, but the No. 1 was the lozenge (green) and the Red became the No. 2 IAW AO 287/16.

You're right! My mistake.... thanks, Joe.

Looks like a naval dog-tag. D for Devonport?

According to a list of army number prefixes posted elsewhere on this site, 'D' refers to:

Dragoons

Royal Fleet Reserve, Devonport

Royal Navy, Devonport

(assuming, of course, it is WW1)

• 2 months later...
The WW1 tags usually had the unit stamped on them. (perhaps this changed later in the war - I'm not sure?). WW2 ones did usually have the blood group on the rear, though.

You are correct about the unit stamp - this was dropped in 1920 (though some WW1 tags can be found without them, but usually on tags belonging to soldiers who haven't been sent to a unit yet and usually in 1918). However, blood group on WW2 tags? Not on British tags until the late 1950's (and, in most cases, not until the 1960's).

dave

(assuming, of course, it is WW1)

WW1 RN tags usually had an initialised rank/trade stamped on. (Though note that i say usually - there are always oddities in tag collecting!) Has there been a check of the WW1 naval service records for this name and number?

Dave

Id Tags haven't really changed much except materials. Ive never seen blood group on a British WW2 ID tag.

Here are WW1 WW2 and modern(ish). The metal ones were mine, early 80's, you always knew you might be off somewhere iffy when they gave you your tags and made you a dental appointment and were x-rayed.

Mick

• 17 years later...

It may have taken 18 years but I've now solved the mystery of my grand uncle's identity tag.

After being court martial for drunkeness and discharged the service he re-enlisted: D/37405 Rfn. Bonnington 7th (HD) Bn. K.R.R.C.

My next challenge is now to find out about his time with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I now have some further information so for completeness.

The tag is indeed a WW2 one.

James Bonnington re-enlisted on 25 January 1940, 7th (HD) Bn of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. He was 47 years old.

Many thanks for the help and advice of all those who contributed to this thread.