Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps of Beersheba campaign?

Guest Gene Fax

The Israel Ministry of Housing and Construction is planning to construct a large park in Wadi Be'er Sheva. I would like to encourage them to include a memorial to Allenby's attack east of the city that turned the Turkish line. To that end, can anyone direct me to a work on the Battle of Beersheba that contains a large-scale tactical map, with elevation contours? My copies of Dane, "British Campaigns in the Near East" and Wavell, "The Palestine Campaigns" give only small-scale, schematic maps. As I am in the States, I am not in a position to visit the PRO (now the National Archives, I understand) to copy the excellent maps that I am sure they have.

Gene Fax

Newton, MA, USA

Gene Fax said:
The Israel Ministry of Housing and Construction is planning to construct a large park in Wadi Be'er Sheva. I would like to encourage them to include a memorial to Allenby's attack east of the city that turned the Turkish line. To that end, can anyone direct me to a work on the Battle of Beersheba that contains a large-scale tactical map, with elevation contours? My copies of Dane, "British Campaigns in the Near East" and Wavell, "The Palestine Campaigns" give only small-scale, schematic maps. As I am in the States, I am not in a position to visit the PRO (now the National Archives, I understand) to copy the excellent maps that I am sure they have.

Gene Fax

Newton, MA, USA

Hi Gene

There are detailed maps of both the infantry attack south west of town and of the LH charge and ANZAC attacks east of it in the maps volume of the Official History in its original edition. I have all of them, but could only scan them tomorrow or the day after. Nothing is left of the battle field in the east except for some marks around Tell Beer Sheva which is already a national park. The Turkish trenches, on the other hand, are nearly intact (- 90 years of erosion) starting from the north bank of Wadi Beer Sheva west of town and going south east like an arch to the area south of Ras Hablein. That area is officially a military zone, but wont be so in a few years. You could easily see the trenches at google-earth (actually I once posted some: check the bottom of this -

As for preservation – most local “Great War addicts” are actually from the Beer Sheva area and the local “Great War Heritage Association” is based in the Ben Gurion Institute south of Beer Sheva. So far there hadn’t been much success in convincing the authorities in finding the budget for that… I’m sure they would be interested in hearing about foundation though, but wont give from their own, much like they don’t with a unique War of Independence battle site which is seated just on the spot where the 4th LH stormed the Turkish trenches…

The association is meeting for a 2 day seminar each year in Oct 31st, starting at the annual ceremony at the CW cemetery. This year I saw in the schedule they would discuss proposals regarding steps to encourage a “90s” anniversary in 2007, so things might change.

I’ll try and send you the maps (I hold the copy of the Univ. library in home so once I’ll return it, the guys in town hall could check the original during lunch). Send me a PM if you need more details.

I have a Beersheba one inch to one mile map. PM me if you would like a detailed scan.

Chris Henschke

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

Back again after an enforced break through family business of all sorts. Hopefully the rest of the year will not be so full - I sure dislike living in interesting times.

This is a great place to throw in some of the problems of the Beersheba campaign and the historical mapping process. Below is the official map produced detailing the famous charge. You will notice that the regiments afre in a nice row, one row for the 12th LHR in the front, 4th LHR in the second line and the reserves with artillery in the rear.

post-7100-1158029213.jpg

Also instructive to see the location of the 3rd LH Bde - the situation gives the impression that the Brigade is just about falling over the Turkish trenches.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Mates

In contrast to the official map, the below map is a hand drawn map produced by a member of the 12th LHR who took part in the charge and drew this up days afterwards. I might add the fellow was a surveyor in civilian life so there is no doubting his ability to produce a well drawn and properly scaled map. Apologies for the quality but the danged thing has been laminated - shame on the AWM.

post-7100-1158029907.jpg

At the bottom of the map you will see the dispositions of the two regiments. On the left, the 12th LHR with A Squadron in the front and B Squadron in the middle with C and HQ taking the rear with the artillery and machine guns. The dispositions of the 4th LHR mirror those of the 12th LHR.

Leads one to wonder why the two stories seem so far apart from each other.

The history of the Beersheba Battle is filled with these stories.

In an earlier thread Steve Becker tried hard to reconcile 13 men killed by an air raid of the Turks at 3.30pm as noted in the Official History by Gullett and the actual numbers that could be accounted for as KIA or DOW. A check of the War Diaries of the 3rd LH Bde Regts and the surrounding units - specifically the Kiwis - produced no casualties for that air raid save for the 9th LHR C Squadron and the 3rd LHMGS.

One of the toughest to swallow is that Grant was the hero of the day ... that one sticks in my craw ... when on the day it appears as though Cameron, the CO of the 12th LHR was in actuality the man who should have got all the kudos. But then, anyone who knows me would know that I consider Grant a craven dilletante who retained his position through the virtue of propaganda rather than ability. But that is another story.

Cheers

Bill

Cheer

• 1 month later...

Gene,

I donated an original copy of the "secret" RE produced topographic map produced about one month prior to the attack to a museum here in Australia recently. If you PM me with your details, I will contact the curator and see what we can do,

Chris