Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC v Medal Rolls

arkaygee

Some questions about Medal Rolls and Medal Index Cards:

Can SKS explain what information can be found on the Medal Rolls that is extra to that on the MIC?

If the MIC exists does this mean that the Medal Roll information is also available?

Is the Medal Roll info on Microfilm/microfiche, or do they have to be ordered as original documents?

After drawing a blank in WO 363 and 364, I need to look for other documentation for two OR grandfathers!

Ray Green

Infantry medal rolls usually give the man's battalion(s), which MICs rarely do.

Rolls for men of the artillery, engineers, medical, transport etc usually do not give them man's unit, but sometimes you will be lucky.

Silver war badge rolls are great: date of enlistment, age, etc also given.

Vast majority are ordered as original documents, although some cavalry rolls are on microfilm.

If the MIC exists, the entries on the rolls will also exist. I have had a very, very few where the reference given on the roll is incorrect or leads to nowhere.

Thanks for this, Chris

One of my grandfathers MICs shows the SWB, so that looks like a fruitful line of research. I'll add it to my list for next time I visit TNA - but being a northern lad that isn't very often!

Still, it's encouraging to know that there is still info to find - that's what I suspect keeps most of us going.

Cheers

Ray