Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Alfred Ryder 9th battalion West Yorks Regiment

mrs shorty

Hi there, can any one help me find out in which battle if any my great, great uncle (Alfred Ryder) died

He was in the 9th battalion west yorkshire regiment attached to the 11th division

date of entry into war 22-12-15 arena France

He died on the 14-01-1917 and is buried at Serre cemetary No 1

Many thanks hopefully in advance

Sandra

Soldiers died shows killed in action 1917 ?

Hello Mrs Shorty, (love the name!)

I should be making a PRO visit next week, and I will have a look through the 9th West Yorkshire Regiment war diary for you, for January 1917. Hopefully you might be able to learn more about the circumstances surrounding his death.

Let you know how I get on.

Alie.

Hi Sandra,

As promised I have some war diary copies for you for January 1917. The 14th does mention 1 man as being killed on that date, by enemy artillery fire, so this could well be him, although no name is stated. The copies are hard to read in some places, but if you PM with your address I'll send them on.

Just for your info if you wanted to read further, the war diary for the 9th West Yorks is available on line, via the NA website. Its WO 95 1809. I think it costs £3.50 to download, but how much you get of the war diary I'm not really sure. I don't use this facility as I am lucky in that I can visit the NA.

Alie.

• 7 years later...

If anyone could help me I would love to be in contact with Sandra who started this post, even an email would do. I believe I could be Pvte Alfred Ryder's great grandson.

post-109230-0-75530900-1397312597_thumb.

This is the Ryder family from Huddersfield, I have been searching for the father of the man in the picture, Alfred Ryder and all we know is he was killed in France, the same year he was born. If anyone knows Sandra please ask her to contact me