Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting WW1 Army Records

Alan W

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum, so please be gentle if I ask stupid questions!!!!

I have my grandfather Stephen George Wellbelove's WW1 army records. I was hoping for some assistance in interpreting them. There are abbreviations and acronyms and spidery writing to contend with. He was with the Suffolk Regiment, wounded at 2nd Ypres and ended up in Salonika. He originally enlisted on 7 Aug 1914 for 7 years plus 5 reserve so there are a few pages.

Many thanks

Alan

:)

ps - I have scanned the pages

welcome to the forum

post what you need to know - one of us will be able to help

welcome to the forum

post what you need to know - one of us will be able to help

Hi,

Many thanks - there are several. I will list a few:

8.7.18: adm. (to hospital) 'mal' - could this be malaria, Grandad was in Salonika at the time and I know that it was rife, but never heard that he contracted it. Could be short for malady, i.e sick I suppose.

31-8-18: War Pay increased from 3s to 4s from 7.8.18 - this is not clear, could be 3d to 4d, but I'm sure they were paid more than that!!!! Would this be weekly or daily rate? By the way 7.8.18 was the fourth anniversary of his enlisting, so maybe increase was triggered by length of service

Although Grandad enlisted with the Suffolks he was seconded to other regiments in 1919:

Sep 1919: attd to 5th Provl Coy? 1st Royal Irish Regiment Brocton?

14.11.19: attd to 5th Provl boy/coy? R Sussex Regt for all purpose - a/L/Cpl - acting lance corporal?

Sorry writing of above is really difficult to read.

I have a photo of Grandad in his lance corporal uniform and I don't believe he ever held that rank while serving with the Suffolks, so is likely to be Irish or Sussex?

Thank for any help

Alan :)