Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hmat Medic 30/12/15

john jerome mcmanus

G'day

Pop here again

Can anybody tell me the route/ ports of call made by the Hmat Medic when she departed Sydney on 30/12/15 carrying the 12th Reinforcements 2nd Battalion AIF en route to Alexandria?

Thanks mates

Pop.

Pop

On your National Archives there is a card record of the HMAT MEDIC movements over the period 1914-18 as a troopship.

Reference AWM244 Item 920899

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/Items_list...amp;T=1&C=2

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Pop

I see that the webpage ref I sent you has been corrupted by the host underlining it. Go to

http://naa12.naa.gov.au and click on Guest. On the next screen enter MEDIC in keyword and then AWM244 in the reference box,click on search. THe record is at the Australian War Memorial,forgive my ignorance as to it's exact whereabouts but you may not be far away from it !

Sotonmate

• 4 weeks later...

hello all

im new to this site but i would like to no more about the.A7 MEDIC as my dad was on her in 1916,i have been seaching for his records and have printed 54 pages,but would like to find out more,in 1924 he was asteward on the SS TREWYN after been invalided out of the army

but i cant find the steamer he was on as i want to no how long he was on her,can anyone help on the bottom of his record sheet there is picture of three medals,the star,british war medal,victory,as they could find my dad it says the medals were returned,i have wrot to australia to ask for them,as im his only child and my mum is dead,but not sure if i sent it to the right address,he was in the 8/60 battilion,can anyone help thank you

joyce

Joyce66

Your father was in the 8th Reinforcements for the 60th Infantry Battalion (Victoria) AIF,which was part of the 15th Infantry Brigade. He sailed from Melbourne on the 16th December 1916 on the HMAT MEDIC for Europe. Battle honours for the 60th include:

Somme 1916-1918

Bullecourt Ypres 1917

Menin Road,Polygon Wood,Passchendaele,Avre,Villers-Bretonneaux,Amiens, and Albert 1918 .

I found the only adress to which all medal enquiries should now be made.If you didn't send it to this address try again !

Directorate of Honours and Awards

Department of Defence

Locked Bag 2003

COOMA

New South Wales 2630

AUSTRALIA

Best wishes

Sotonmate

good morning

thank you for address no i didnt send it there ive forgotton were i sent but ask them to pass it to the right department ,but will right to that address now thank you for your help

regards joyce66

Hello, Joyce.

You probably did this already, but in case you didn't... I know that when claiming medals from the New Zealand medal office, you have to prove a. that the person was entitled to them, b. they or someone else hadn't previously received them, and c. your right to obtain the medals through descent.

So when you write to the medal office, along with the usual details such as your father's Full name, rank and unit, and service number, also enclose a copy of the parts of his service record which show which medals he was entitled to as well as the part showing that they were returned. It might also pay to enclose a copy of your birth certificate to prove your relationship to him. (the full birth certificate, not the short one.)

Good luck!

Allie

Joyce66

It's your lucky day ! I'm going to the NA next Tuesday (17th) and will take a look in the file. It would be a good idea to have your father's name,birth date and whatever else might help me in the search,such as other details of his Merchant Navy life.

You must be prepared,however,for there to be no ship's agreements for TREWYN in the file for the years that you want. This sometimes happens,they are either disposed of, such as to the Newfoundland University, or destroyed apart from sample ones kept at the NA.

Keep smiling

Sotonmate