Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A soldiers Diary by Captain H. Raymond Smith.

stiletto_33853

In The Hindenburg Line - Ghastly Surroundings - "Horse Sense" - Meeting The Brigadier - Meeting Old Comrades.

Shortly after leaving Trescault we moved further to the left, and went into trenches near Bullecourt. This was part of the famous Hindenburg Line, and about a fortnight previous had been taken from the Germans at a great loss of life by the Australians. We took over from the Australians and I went up into the line twenty-four hours before the rest of our Battalion to "take-over" and find out the positions the four companies would occupy. It was an interesting experience.

The Australian officers received me very cordially, though all they were able to offer me in the way of refreshment was "bully beef," hard biscuits and tea, for this was all they had. The Australian battalion immediately on our left made a night assault on the German trenches, preceeded by a heavy bombardment with gas shells, on the night I went in. In company with an Australian Captain, I watched this operation from one of our forward posts. It was a grim, though thrilling affair.

I noticed that the manners and customs of the Australians differed very much from ours, and that their style of discipline was different, though it certainly appeared just as effective.

The Australian officers (at any rate in this battalion) from the Colonel downwards, addressed their servants by their Christian names, and the latter addressed their officers as "Mr. Smith," "Mr. Jones," or "Captain Brown," as the case might be, and not as "Sir," as was usual with our men. Their conduct in the trenches appeared to be admirable, and their organisation efficient. Our battalion took over the line the following evening, and I parted with my temporary hosts with regret as I found them lively and interesting companions.

While occupying this part of the line our rest billets were in huts or under canvas in beautifully wooded country, and as the weather was now brilliant - it was the month of May - life was quite good, despite the absence of civilisation. The woods are carpeted with bluebells and other wild flowers, and the birds sang delightfully at sunrise. Except for the distant rumble of the guns there was little to remind one of the grim life and death struggle going on only a short distance away. It was while here that a German aeroplane was brought down in flames. On reaching the wreckage we found, as expected, that the pilot and observer were both dead.

A little while later we moved further to the left, by Bullecourt, into the most horrible trenches it was ever my lot to occupy. We held what had, until recently, been the enemy's front line trench, so all the dug-outs faced the wrong way. The trenches were full of corpses in an advanced stage of decomposition, as fearful carnage had taken place here recently when the Germans were forced out of the position. The air was rank with the "sweet," sickly smell of corruption, and infested with swarms of flies. The sights that met the eye on every hand are too horrible to mention in detail here; suffice it to say that it was impossible to walk along these trenches without treading on our own or the enemy's dead, and in these surroundings we lived, and slept, and ate our rations. The enemy were very near, but there was a lull in the fighting and all was strangely quiet.

One morning at "stand to" my sergeant came to me and exclaimed "I swear there's a German walking about out there, sir, with impunity!" The good sergeant was rather proud of the word "imounity" and repeated it several times. He pointed to a dark object in front, which might certainly been a man, though it was difficult to see through the ground mist of dawn. I borrowed the sergeant's rifle, took careful aim, and fired. Nothing happened; I fired a second time and a small piece of something flew from my target, leaving a white strip. I had been shooting at a post and had chipped a splinter from it!

It was while here that I received a message from battalion headquarters that a cablegram had come to say that my father was dying, and asking for me to be granted special leave. The sad news did not come as a great shock, as he had been desperately ill for some months. The leave was granted, and with my batman, I proceeded to make my way out of the trenches. Once we took a wrong turning and arrived in the trenches held by the Devons. At length, with considerable difficulty, we got out, and at battalion headquarters I was joined by B____, who was also going on leave. Two horses were in readiness for us at brigade headquarters.

By this time, it was pitch dark, the road was full of shell holes, and how to find our way to the railhead at Bapaume was a problem indeed. We had ridden some distance blindly, hoping we were on the right track when it suddenly struck me that our horses had come from the divisional transport lines near Bapaume, and if it was true about a horse's instinct for direction, they should be able to find their way back. Accordingly we rode with loose reins mile after mile. Our horses never stumbled or hesitated, and at length left the track and took us across country. Soon we were riding through transport lines. At length they stopped. We saw lights and heard familiar voices; they had taken us straight to the lines of our own transport column, where they had been picketed the previous night!

We entrained at Bapaume, spent the following night at Boulogne and crossed to England the next morning. I arrived home in time to see my father before he died and my presence seem to comfort him, He died on June 25th, and was accorded a civic funeral. I obtained a short extension of leave in order to get things settled up, but it was a very sad home coming, and for once I was glad when my leave came to an end.

Once back across the Channel again I made my way, by rail and road, to Pernois, where our battalion was resting. O_____, I was sorry to find, had been transferred to "C" Company, but we had two new officers, "Jock" C____, and W_____. Mention of O____ reminds me of our first interview with the Brigadier, which occured in the front line trenches at Trescault, a month or so earlier. We had only just relieved another battalion, on a pouring wet night, and after two or three hours sleep, I had turned out to examine the position. It was after the usual "stand-to" hour, and the men (who must have been tired out after an unusually trying march) were resting, all except the day sentries who had not long been posted.

I met O____ in the firing trench and we proceeded to reconnoitre the position together. We had not gone far when we met a tall figure wearing red and gold tabs, and a red band round his brass bound cap (not a steel helmet) - it was our Brigadier. We stopped and saluted, and he replied with a pleasant smile and asked our names and which was the senior. Actually, our commissions dated from the same day, but I suppose I had had longer in the ranks, and the Brigadier told me to accompany him round the line. All went well at first until he noticed a small piece of bacon lying on the floor of the trench near the entrance to a dug-out and commented on it somewhat harshly.

Then he got up on the firestep and I stood beside him, looking through the long grass in front. "Are you happy here?" he asked suddenly. I was rather surprised at the question, but replied "Yes, thank you, sir; as happy as one can expect to be under these circumstances." "I don't mean that," he shouted, "Look at all this long grass; it's a perfect death trap; it will have to be cut to give you a field of vision." He walked on along the trench and I followed. Then we came across a very dirty rifle, and at the sight of this the Brigadier became really angry, and after informing me he would speak to our Colonel about it, he went on into "A" Company's part of the line. Some time later an officer from "A" Company came along and I asked him if he had seen the Brigadier. "Have I hell!" was his reply, and from what he told me causes for complaint had been found there also. I quite expected some trouble would be made at headquarters but, strangely enough, we heard no more about it.

Shortly after my return from special leave I was sent on a month's general course at the 4th Corps School for Young Officers and N.C.O.'s, at Boves, near Amiens. These courses were always looked upon as a "snip," and I was congratulated by my brother officers on my good fortune. W____ form "C" Company, went with me, and at Boves we spent a very pleasant and profitable month.

We were billeted in private houses, and had the use of an empty chateau, while our mess was in a marquee in the grounds. We had parades ecery morning and afternoon, but Saturday was a half holiday, and we repaired to Amiens, there to enjoy an excellent dinner at the Hotel Geaubere or the Cafe du Cathedral. The weather was glorious and very hot. Boves is a low-lying village, and there are swamps close by so we were troubled a good deal with mosquitoes. Early one morning one of these insects stung me on my nose as I was asleep in bed. My nose commenced to swell, but I jumped out of bed and held it in the water jug. Fortunately, it had regained its normal size by the time I had to go on parade.

W____ and I discovered a little creek in a wood where we bathed every day after the afternoon parade. It was narrow but deep, with a very strong current, which we found it almost impossible to swim against, so we dived in, let ourselves be carried down by the currents to a spot some hundred yards below, where we landed, ran up the bank and repeated the process.

We had a number of concerts, and staged a revue entitled "The Boves Boys," and these were a great success. Boves was like paradise after the trenches, but, like all things, good and bad, it came to an end and in due course we had to return to our unit.

We found the battalion at Piddington Camp, in a wood just outside Poeringhe. Just before our return our battalion was engaged in some heavy fighting, and our losses had been severe. Among the officers killed was F____, who had been for some time in command of our company. I was promoted Company Commander. The following day we were inspected by the General commanding the 20th Division. The companies were inspected individually near the quarters in the wood, and I am glad to say everything passed off without a hitch.

Shortly after this, while riding along a road near Poperinghe I met an old comrade from the 8th Worcesters, and stopped for a chat. He directed me to their machine gunner's lines, and I rode there and had a long and intereting talk with several of my old comrades. They seemed as pleased to see me as I was to see them, and we recalled many of the old jokes and amusing incidents in the trenches at "Plugstreet" and Hebuterne. At length we parted with mutual good wishes.

I was able to ride over and visit my old comrades once more before our brigade(the 59th) moved from Piddington Camp to Herzelle. This was a very welcome move, though it was a long march. As a Company Commander I was mounted on a very respectable looking black horse. In those days it was the rule in the Infantry that the commanding officer, second in command, and four company commanders, and the transport officer should ride. It was a convenient way of keeping supervision, as it was easy to ride up and down the column and see if all was going as it should. On this march, though a long and tiring one, everything went well, and no-one fell out.

Herzelle proved to be a very cheerful village; we had good quarters near the estaminet Le Leon Blanc, where Madame spoke excellent English. It was reserved for officers (some of whom were billeted there) and we enjoyed several merry evenings there.

Our brigade was inspected by the General commanding the 20th (Light) Division, on September 6th. In the evening there was riding school for subalterns. Captain D_____, the brigade transport officer, instructed one school, while I took the other. Several of the subalterns had quite a fair idea, and were promising pupils, but one or two would never learn to be horsemen if they lived to be a hundred!

On the following day I rode over to Esquibecq and drew my company's pay from the field cashier. On the way over I noticed a nice flat field, and turning aside from the road I had a fine gallop in it. The field was divided from the road by a dyke, and between the dyke and the road was a grass verge. I put my horse at the dyke, expecting him to jump it easily, but he made no attept to do so, and fell in on his head. I shot out of the saddle and turning a complete somersault, found myself sitting on the grass verge facing the road. A British soldier and a French soldier were standing at the side of the road talking, and they stared in amazement (as well they might) at this extraordinary exhibition.

They ran to me, and one assisted me up, while the other caught my horse, which was easy, as I was still holding the reins. I was able to assure them that I was quite unhurt, and at once resumed my journey. As long as I had this horse I never tried jumping him again!

The Third Battle of Ypres - Into the Mouth of Hell - We Share a Trench with the Enemy.

Preparartions were being rapidly pushed forward for the second stage of what afterwards became to be known as the Third Battle of Ypres. We had made assaults against strong German positions in the Salient in August, but these had been only partially successful, and had been attended by fearful carnage. On Tuesday, September 11th, 1917, we moved forward "up the line" once more.

As we moved forward the scenery became more and more grim. Our first forward camp was a place known as Dawson's Corner. Here the first thing that struck the eye was a broken General Service waggon and a team of six dead mules - all killed by the same shell. Our camp was shelled quite often, and we were frequently bombed from the air. G____ and I were sent forward to make a reconnaisance at Au Bon Gite. The ground as far as the eye could see was a wilderness of shell holes, with hardly a blade of grass to be seen; it might have been a scene from the moon! The officer in command at the forward position received us courteously, and pointed out certain objects, notably the remains of Langemarck Church. All that one could see was a heap of rubble, and the only other objects on the landscape were the stumps of shell shattered trees and the "pill-boxes" (concrete emplacements), which in this part of the Salient took the place of trenches to some extent.

Hi Marina,

I must admit the same thought about Robert went through my head as well.

Andy

They have been made by the enemy and captured from them recently by our troops, but some were still held by the Germans. That afternoon all was strangely quiet, but it was the lull before the storm, as we were due to attack in two days time.

On the following day we moved up to a battle position known as "Cardiff Castle." By a Divisional order all officers wore rifleman's jackets, with our badges of rank on the shoulder straps, but as these stars are black in The Rifle Brigade, we could not easily be distinguished from our men, except at very close range. I remember we met some more troops coming down as we were making our way forward under cover of darkness, and I asked one of them if we were on the right track for "Cardiff Castle." He replied "Straight ahead, chum," which caused some amusement amongst my men. I was in command of "B" Company, and had as my subalterns W_____ and M____, both reliable officers. As we advanced our bombardment commenced, and the crash of the guns, packed in hundreds of batteries almost wheel to wheel, was deafening. I had taken the precaution to stuff cotton wool in my ears, and found it very useful in deadening the shock of the explosions. The German batteries soon commenced to reply fiercly, and all round us came screaming, crashing shells. In this hell we moved forward to "Cardiff Castle," and on the following day still further forward to Reiter's Farm. Here we were visited by Padre B_____ . He came up at great personal risk, and on his own initiative, but he never thought of himself at times like these, and had the respect and admiration of everyone in the battalion in consequence.

My company was in support, so we did not go over with the first wave at dawn the following morning, but held ourselves in readiness, and it was one of the most trying days I have ever spent. We were obliged to stand or sit in a large "pill-box" or in a marrow slit trench immediately at the rear of it. At 6 p.m. I got the order to advance. What followed will for ever be imprinted on my mind as the most vivid recollection of all my experiences in the Great War.

The sun is shining brightly, and the enmy trenches are about seven hundred yards ahead. I hastily issue a rum ration to my men, and we leap out of the trench and start forward at the douuble. M_____ and I lead the way, the company following us, almost in single file. No sooner do we emerge from the teench than all hell breaks over us!! The bursting shrapnel crashes above our heads, and great shells plough up the ground all round, sending up huge fountains of earth and flames. The ear-splitting scream is continuous, and the bursting shells shake the ground. I glance round and wave the men forward. They are struggling gamely along, carrying their rifles and Lewis guns, slipping into shell holes, falling and rising again. Bang! Something like a blow from a hammer strikes my stell helmet, and I double forward all the faster. We are ubder machine gun and rifle fire now. An orderly rushes up to me and thrusts some papers into my hand and I start to read them, with the bullets whistling all round, my heart pounding, and expecting every minute to be my last. Before I have had time to take in the sense of a single word, the orderly snatches the papers from me, and shouts " 'A' Company are going over, sir, and I've got to stop them." With this he dashes across the road. The men of "A" Company, on my right, leap from a shallow jumping off trench, but they did not get far. In a moment they are falling - being doubled up like shot rabbits, before a deadly hail of machine gun bullets.

This fire is now taking its toll of us. M____, who was close by me a moment ago, has gone, and several others. I dash across the road and take shelter in the trench just vacated by the ill-fated "A" Company. With me are Sergenat T____ and two riflemen; the remainder are sheltering behind a "pill-box" to our left rear. I send Sergeant T____ back to tell them to join us as soon as possible, and turn my attention to our immediate position. "Your Sergeant's been hit, sir," says a man from another unit. I turn and see Sergeant T____ on the ground, some thirty yards away. I jump out of the trench and go to him. One glance shows the damage. A bullet has torn his right wrist open and another has gone through his left shoulder, and already his tunic is soaked in blood. "Leave me, sir, I'm dying," he says, to which I reply "Don't be a fool." Kneeling beside him I get his equipment off, and with his right arm over my shoulder I get him to walk with me towards the trench again. All the time bullets are zipping round, and the centre of a cone of fire from a machine gun ploughs up the earth in a shower just on our left, but we reach the trench in saftey. S____ and T____, the two riflemen who remained close to me throughout the advance, bandage the wounded sergeant up with their field dressings, and I give him two morphia tablets, and write "2M" on his forehead in accordance with instructions.

The War Service Record of the 11th Battalion only says that:-

On the 13th moved up to Front Line for the attack on the Steenbeek. The attack took place on the 14th and was partially successful but was held up by the German strong point "Old Bon Cite." The Battalion suffered heavy casualties.

Andy

Hi Marina,

Noticed the switch and the way he is presently reliving it. Compelling account of the action.

Andy

At last it is dusk and we are joined by the rest of the company, now sadly depleted in numbers. M____ has been killed, and W____, my second in command, has gone, wounded I am told, and I am the only officer left. Presently the Commanding Officer and Adjutant arrive, and I am instructed to occupy the left flank of Eagle Trench. We move forward under the cover of darkness, and do so. This Eagle Trench is curiously situated, as it is now partly occupied by us and partly by the enemy.

Our position is by no means comfortable. The enemy are in strong force just on our right in a "pill box," which is a strong point in the trench, and I am determined that so far as I am concerned they can stay there, for the time being at any rate, as by this time I have only about forty-five men left at my disposal. The first thing I do is to build a barricade in the trench between us and our enemy, and having posted a sentry there I inspect the rest of the position, which, to put it mildly, is far from healthy.

The night was cold, but dawn came at last, and with it a renewal of the shelling. Our own gunners must have thought the whole of this trench was occupied by the enemy, for they started shelling us, and it was most disconcerting to be under fire from both front and rear.

The dauntless S____ and his pal at once voluteered to go back to Battalion Headquarters, and I gave them permission to do so. To accomplish this perilous journey they had to crawl or sprint from shell hole to shell hole, as the ground was constantly swept by machine gun fire.