Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Heaney Connaught Rangers

mhifle

Hi,

This is my first posting. I have downloaded a Medal card for my Great Grandfather John Heaney who was a regular in the Connaught Rangers. It is for a "Meritorious Service Medal". I was wondering if this medal was for long service and good conduct or would be a gallantry medal. It also says "Home" on the card, what would this indicate and any idea what the two words under "Home" say? I believe he served in both the Boer War and World War One.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

& welcome to the forum, looking at the MSM medal card, his number is 5/1105 this may be is old Battalion 5th Battalion.

His rank is QMS, This is Quarter-Master Sergeant this is a 2nd Class Warrant Officer.

Next to his Regiment is 3rd Battalion, The 3rd Batt Connaught Rangers was a Reserve Battalion, about May 1918 this unit was absorbed the 4th Battn, & was part of Dover Garrison(Eastern Command).

The MSM was Gazetted in the Peace Gazette this may have been in 1919.

If you go back to the Medal index Cards online you may find other medal cards, as you say he was a regular Soldier with the Connaught Ranger, & if the MSM was issued, in 1919 were was he from 1914-1918?

I have just had a look at the MIC online & there is another card to your G/G, if you get this one can you post it on here, so we can have a look & see if there is anymore info for you.

Cheers Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the information. I have just got his other Medal Card and have uploaded it.

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark

& welcome to the forum, looking at the MSM medal card, his number is 5/1105 this may be is old Battalion 5th Battalion.

His rank is QMS, This is Quarter-Master Sergeant this is a 2nd Class Warrant Officer.

Next to his Regiment is 3rd Battalion, The 3rd Batt Connaught Rangers was a Reserve Battalion, about May 1918 this unit was absorbed the 4th Battn, & was part of Dover Garrison(Eastern Command).

If you go back to the Medal index Cards online you may find other medal cards, as you say he was a regular Soldier with the Connaught Ranger, & if the MSM was issued, in 1919 were was he from 1914-1918?

I have just had a look at the MIC online & there is another card to your G/G, if you get this one can you post it on here, so we can have a look & see if there is anymore info for you.

Cheers Roy

Hi Bob,

Yes I think you are correct. It seems to be confirmed by his 2nd medal card I have just uploaded.

Thanks Mark

Mark,

It looks like Eastern Command.

Bob.

Hi Roy,

Here is the mention in the Peace Gazette. P.7016 "Supplement To The London Gazette 3 June 1919"

Would Castlebar be where he is based at the time?

Cheers Mark.

Hi Mark

Cheers Roy

There is also a Connaught Rangers assoc, website - some good folks on there. Suggest google.

des

Thanks I will give them a try.

Cheers Mark

There is also a Connaught Rangers assoc, website - some good folks on there. Suggest google.

des

I went through a copy of a book loaned to me today called "Record of 5th (Service) Battalion: The Connaught Rangers 19 Aug 1914-17 Jun 1916" and found a Q.M.-Sergt Heaney mentioned on P35 as a Orderly Room Sergt. Apparently left with stores at Mustapha Barracks in Alexandria on 24th June 1915. Would this be the same man?

I downloaded the unit diary for the 5th Connaught Rangers from the National Archives and found the same record for that day but no mention of any name. Amazing what you can download from the National Archives if you have a little information. I will have to make a visit in person. I cannot find any mention of him rejoining the Battalion any ideas?

Does anyone have information on Mustapha Barracks or pictures?

Cheers Mark

Thanks I will give them a try.

Cheers Mark

Here is the page form the unit diary.

Mark

I went through a copy of a book loaned to me today called "Record of 5th (Service) Battalion: The Connaught Rangers 19 Aug 1914-17 Jun 1916" and found a Q.M.-Sergt Heaney mentioned on P35 as a Orderly Room Sergt. Apparently left with stores at Mustapha Barracks in Alexandria on 24th June 1915. Would this be the same man?

I downloaded the unit diary for the 5th Connaught Rangers from the National Archives and found the same record for that day but no mention of any name. Amazing what you can download from the National Archives if you have a little information. I will have to make a visit in person. I cannot find any mention of him rejoining the Battalion any ideas?

Does anyone have information on Mustapha Barracks or pictures?

Cheers Mark

post-14045-1157916128.jpg