Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SS Akassa

museumtom

I just got a medal to Joseph Newton (served as Sumner) greaser and fireman on the SS Akassa and he was killed on 13/8/1917 on the ship. Could anyone tell me what happened to the ship on that day? As far as I can find out it was either hit by a mine or an enemy sub but further details would be most appreciated. Any information on Joseph Newton?Sumner would be brilliant also.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Tom

AKASSA

Elder Dempster Line. Blt 1910. Irvine's Shipbuilding Co. 3,919 tons.

Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC33 eight miles S.E.

of Galley Head, Co. Cork on August 13th 1917 whilst on a voyage

from Liverpool to West Africa with general cargo and passengers.

Seven people lost their lives. The captain was among the survivors.

Regards John

The ship was on a run from Liverpool to Sierra Leone, West Africa with a general good cargo of 5,100 tons and passengers. Her name comes from the AKASSA tribe and a place in th Niger Delta.

Dave

Fantastic!!!, many thanks guys!!!

What a forum!!

Many thanks again guys and gals.

Regards.

Tom.

Tom, in addition, the Akassa was owned by Elder, Dempster & Co Ltd - Liverpool but managed by the Elder Line. Their were 7 casualties amongst the crew and they are commemorated at Tower Hill.

Best wishes

David

Thank you David, I also got some information on the CWGC

Regards.

Tom.

Tom

Elder Dempster issued a book on it's fleet losses and other incidents in World war 1. There were quite a few ! The lost crew will be listed in the book,and there will be a brief description of the sinking.

I will try to make a visit to the Special Collections Library in Southampton to glean the details for you if you still need them.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Tom,

There would be at least two primary source descriptions of the sinking: the statement given by Akassa's master after the sinking, which should be in ADM137/3998 at TNA, and UC 33's KTB, which survives (I have a copy on microfilm).

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael my dearest friend.

What are the chances of a scan? I could give you my first born or cover any expenses you may incur. I did not think such a thing exists. You would be making an old man very happy.

This is great.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom,

No problem on the scan. Will true to get it this weekend, subject to the local university's microfilm scanning system functioning properly.

Michael

Fantastic!!!! it will make terriffic and strange reading.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I have no expectations, anything I get on the sinking will be all new.

Exciting stuff.

Regards.

Tom

• 1 year later...

Hi - my name is John Newton - Joseph was my Great Grandfather! He was too old to join the war effort and stole a birth certificate from a Joseph Sumner to 'get through'. Joseph was married to Ellen Louisa Fee and his memorial is in Everton Cemetery Liverpool (apart from the Tower Hill memorial in London CWG memorial). His ship was torpedoed off SW Ireland. What sort of medal is it? JOseph is one of the few ancestors I can find little about, I have details on his father, Gfather, GGfather and photos amazingly but little on Joe - what a coincidence after all this time!

Its against forum rules to sell stuff here and anyway if you read my blog you will see I gave up selling stuff years ago. I bought the medal at a Dublin fair because it was a casualty medal to Irish Waters.

Tom.

Its against forum rules to sell stuff here and anyway if you read my blog you will see I gave up selling stuff years ago. I bought the medal at a Dublin fair because it was a casualty medal to Irish Waters.

Tom.

Ok Tom - havent read any rules mate.

Just got a bit excited when I read you have my Great Grandads medal and were asking for info, my dad said I should try to bring it back to the family and add it to the frame of his sons medals (my Grandad). Joseph (Joey) never came home and perished in Irish waters. If you do ever let it go please give us first refusal.

Cheers

John

• 7 years later...

Hello - my great granddad Thomas Rain Morrison was the 2nd engineer on the Akassa and he was drowned when it was torpedoed. I am doing my family tree and I am trying to find a photo of the Akassa. Could anyone help me locate one please ? many thanks

Can't see a photo in any of the usual places. There is a book in Southampton Library about Elder Dempster's losses in 1914-1918 and there might be a photo there. I will see if I can get in there to see if there is one some time soon.

Sorry I have not come back to this topic, I had forgotten all about it., please forgive me lads and lassies. Thank you also for all your help, it is much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello - my great granddad Thomas Rain Morrison was the 2nd engineer on the Akassa and he was drowned when it was torpedoed. I am doing my family tree and I am trying to find a photo of the Akassa. Could anyone help me locate one please ? many thanks

Morrin

I have a photo of the AKASSA (1910) from the above book on "Elder Dempster in the War 1914-1918". I am trying to upload it here and need to see how I am to reduce it to acceptable level for download. Twice the permitted level currently.

This ship (Yard number 489 at Irvine's of West Hartlepool and launched 9 May 1910 gross tonnage 3919) is identical to another with Yard number 488 and launched at Irvine's on 15.Mar 1910, gross tonnage 3921 and named ONITSHA. I will try to post a pic of both as the ONITSHA is a clearer and unfettered photo which gives clearer characteristics of the Class.

I also have a copy of the crew casualties on the day of loss.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the SS Akassa may be the ship my gran was on, but I think now it was the SS Elizabethville sunk 6th Sep 1917 Bay of Biscay. Does anyone know how I can find a passenger list? Almost all were rescued and interned. Or a newspaper article on the sinking? Or a pic of same? I know there was a newspaper article as I saw it as a child, but all my searching has come up blank. Also, how can I find where they were interned? So many questions...