Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

merchant Navy records help

WASMAN

Trying to do a bit of research into my Grandads Merchant Navy service, his Identity Certificate number was 842191, can anyone tell from this number roughly when he may have joind the MN, he was born in 1895 and came from Liverpool, thanks.

Unlike other "services" there appears to be little info on the net with respect to merchant seamen. Most of the advice I have seen refers to the usual sources, e.g. Nat Archives, but the best source I have found is at the Southampton Archives. Check out http://www.southampton.gov.uk/leisure/arch...nt-seamen.asp#0

If he served after 1918 there is a good chance they'll have a record of him and, whilst you can do-it-yourself, they will undertake a search of the records for you for the princely sum of £7.00.

Although the reply took around four weeks, for my money, I received not only a photocopy of my lost grandfather's records but also a written analysis of the ships on which he served - the ships are referred to only by number in the records. Overall an excellent service.

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to do a bit of research into my Grandads Merchant Navy service, his Identity Certificate number was 842191, can anyone tell from this number roughly when he may have joind the MN, he was born in 1895 and came from Liverpool, thanks.

Check out the Mariners-L website - http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ which has a whole section on researching Merchant Mariners and also their mailing list - Mariners-L@rootsweb.com --- one of the most helpful mailing lists I have ever joined.