Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Edward Brown 1st/10th Btn Manchester

amy1915

I am trying to find out about my great uncle who's name is on the Helles Memorial.

The date of his death was 4th June 1915 aged 21. His service number was 1269.

Could anybody give me details of what may have happened to him?

Joyce

Hi Joyce

Edward was the Son of Edward & Mary, 120 Cow Hill Chadderton, He was KIA with the 1st /10th Battalion(Oldham's) Manchester Regiment, This unit was divided up between two reguler Battalion of the 88 brigade, the 2/Royal Fusiliers & 2/Hampshire, this temporarily attached to swell the numbers of the two units, for their assault on the village of Krithia (Gallipoli), on the 4th June 1915.

There is a very good book out for the 10th(Oldham) Battalion Manchester Regiment, by K.W. Mitchinson

called "Amateur Soldiers" a history of Oldham's Volunteers & Territorials, 1859-1938. ISBN 0-9518098-9-X.

Cheers Roy

Thank you Roy for this information.

It did come as a surprise to find that he had been killed in Gallipoli. The family always thought he had been killed in France.

Is it worth starting a new thread to find out about the assault on the village of Krithia?

Regards

Joyce

Thank you Roy for this information.

It did come as a surprise to find that he had been killed in Gallipoli. The family always thought he had been killed in France.

Is it worth starting a new thread to find out about the assault on the village of Krithia?

Regards

Joyce

Joyce.

You should also read 'I Shall Not Find His Equal' by Niall Cherry. Whilst it is primarily devoted to the life and death of Brigadier General Noel Lee of the 6th Manchesters, it fully describes the mobilsation of all the Manchester Territorial Battalions, including the 10th Manchesters and then describes in much detail the three battles for Krithia of May and June 1915.