Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cannock Chase Training Camps

Martin Brown

Dear All

I am involved in some researches on Cannock Chase in Staffordshire where there were two Divisional training camps (Brocton and Rugeley) and a POW cage (site unkown).

If anyone has any nuggets to share, details of accounts of individuals who trained there describing their time or anything that they think might be of interrest or use then please let me know.

As a place to train it manages to fit the Army pattern of "bleak" very nicely.

I'll post some results of my fieldwork on the forum in due course.

Best regards

Martin

I interviewed a NZ soldier, Robbie Robertson, who trained at Cannock Chase with the New Zealand Rifle Brigade in late 1918. Many of his friends died of influenza then. Robertson, however, lived and returned to Cannock Chase every five or so years until his 96th year. He died en route there in 1992, which was to be his last visit. The local paper carried heaps of articles about him, as did those in New Zealand. If memory serves me correctly, the local community presented him with a plaque at some point.

Andy M

Sling Camp at Larkhill became overcrowded, so the NRZB (New Zealand Rifle Brigade) moved . In August almost 2000 reserves moved into a temporary canvas camp at Tidworth. Only good for summer months though. So the NZRB made their move to a permanent camp at Brocton, Staffs on 27th Sept. The area was classified as 'bleak and dreary upland, surrounded by a charming countryside dotted with quaint old-time villages'. The camp was nicknamed 'Tin-Town' after the tin huts they lived in. Many of the men who left from there , ended up at Brockenhurst in the New Forest at the No 1 New Zealand General Hospital. The quartermaster had very high standards and unlike a lot of camps waste was unknown. Crumbs and stale bread were baked in the large ovens for sale to Birmingham manufacturers of calve's food.

The camp was set in 100 acres with a German prisoner of war camp 'nearby'. It should be on old maps at Lichfield (possibly)

I have the Brockenhurst CWGC cemetery on my website and no doubt some of the 93 NZ men buried there passed through Brocton.

Steve

www.ypressalient.co.uk

Dear All

I am involved in some researches on Cannock Chase in Staffordshire where there were two Divisional training camps (Brocton and Rugeley) and a POW cage (site unkown).

If anyone has any nuggets to share, details of accounts of individuals who trained there describing their time or anything that they think might be of interrest or use then please let me know.

Best regards

Martin

Martin - you are probably aware of this but just in case..... there's a very good little book about the camps with lots of historical detail. It's called "A Town for Four Winters" by CG and J P Whitehouse.

Tom

Martin

I am told the Dinks or NZRB drank at a pub called the Barley Mow. This was told to me by the daughter of the late Col Curly Blyth who was will her father when they revisited the place in the 1980's

This is a photo from the Dinks departure from Brocton in Staffordshire

post-3643-1157515417.jpg

Dear All

Many thanks for your help. I hadn't seen the photo before, despite having seen a good few.

Andy - are your interviews with Mr Robertson published? I am interested in knowing whether he has anything to say about training but also what he says about their subsequent deployment.

Bert - Always a pleasure, are you going to come and say hello when I give my talk at Flanders Fields? I think I have the trench survey, is it the one done a couple of years ago by the County Archaeologist of a rather odd looking set that are remarkably small? If you are interested I can send a few phots next week. Sen me a PM with your email.

NZRB there is a pub on the road to the Cahse with a decidedly antipodean sound to its name. I'll make a note of it and let you know. I think we might go and do some fieldwork in the Barley Mow, if it's still there.

Steve - thank you for the backstory of NZRB. I'm sitting a couple of miles from Larkhill and had noted the Anzacs nearby. It ties in nicely with work we are doing on Salisbury Plain.

Tom, thank you yes. There's also a publication by a local historian but I don't have the reference here.

All good wishes to you.

I'll let you know how we get on!

Martin

Hi Martin

Dug out these images from the farewell parade of the Dinks. Presentation of NZ flag to the mayor of Staffordshire in 1919

Cheers

Richard

post-3643-1157537366.jpg

post-3643-1157537402.jpg

What super pictures, thank you.

I'm back inside now with some finds, plans and the imminent joy of writing it all up. The site was most informative and the weather was good!

As soon as I can give you all a quick report on the findings I will do so.

Martin

What super pictures, thank you.

I'm back inside now with some finds, plans and the imminent joy of writing it all up. The site was most informative and the weather was good!

As soon as I can give you all a quick report on the findings I will do so.

Martin

Martin

There was a discussion on the NZRB on this forum recently that had some information on the departure of the NZRB from Brocton. Have you seen this?

Cheers Richard

Martin

There was a discussion on the NZRB on this forum recently that had some information on the departure of the NZRB from Brocton. Have you seen this?

Cheers Richard

I haven't thank you for the alert. Can you recall where it was?

M

I haven't thank you for the alert. Can you recall where it was?

M

Hi Martin

Search NZRB and there is a topic on Rifle Brigade and Infantry

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The four day evaluation has now happened. No Man's Land looked at the following areas:

*Section of practice trench

*Section through a midden deposit

*Section across a hut base

*Non-invasive survey of other practice trenches.

There will be a report shortly but suffice to say it was fairly useful in starting to unpick the site and understand its development.

There may be a further season next year. Watch this space.

Dear All

Best regards

Martin

Hi Martin just found your post... thought this may interest you... I've just finished reading a short history of the Sheffield City Battalion (12th (service) Batn. York & Lancs) which contains several references to Cannock Chase and Penkridge Bank Camp on a high part of the Chase nr. Rugeley (also all the camps at which they were posted) I would be happy to pass it on to you if you fancy a short read, cheers, Jon :ph34r:

'As a place to train it manages to fit the Army pattern of "bleak" very nicely.'

'The day of the move to Redmires was wild and stormy. A steady fall of snow and rain did not make a very pleasant introduction to the camp which still needed a vast amount of attention to be made at all desirable. For a long time the weather continued bad. The regiment had every chance to make itself wonderfully fit physically by a considerable experience of quarrying, roadmaking, and so on.....................But later on the men came to look back upon the Redmires days as some of the happiest of their lives.'

I know Redmires (the highest training ground at that time!) and 'bleak' is one word that describes it! :ph34r:

Jay

Thank you so much for the information. I would be very interested indeed in seeing the references to the camps in the history you quote.

All good wishes

Martin

Hi Martin just found your post... thought this may interest you... I've just finished reading a short history of the Sheffield City Battalion (12th (service) Batn. York & Lancs) which contains several references to Cannock Chase and Penkridge Bank Camp on a high part of the Chase nr. Rugeley (also all the camps at which they were posted) I would be happy to pass it on to you if you fancy a short read, cheers, Jon :ph34r:

'As a place to train it manages to fit the Army pattern of "bleak" very nicely.'

'The day of the move to Redmires was wild and stormy. A steady fall of snow and rain did not make a very pleasant introduction to the camp which still needed a vast amount of attention to be made at all desirable. For a long time the weather continued bad. The regiment had every chance to make itself wonderfully fit physically by a considerable experience of quarrying, roadmaking, and so on.....................But later on the men came to look back upon the Redmires days as some of the happiest of their lives.'

I know Redmires (the highest training ground at that time!) and 'bleak' is one word that describes it! :ph34r:

Hi Martin, i'm at work at the mo. So if you can PM yor email to me I'll be happy to send you the files, cheers, Jon :ph34r:

• 2 months later...
Martin

I am told the Dinks or NZRB drank at a pub called the Barley Mow. This was told to me by the daughter of the late Col Curly Blyth who was will her father when they revisited the place in the 1980's

This is a photo from the Dinks departure from Brocton in Staffordshire

I think this p[hoto was taken in the market square at Stafford (the old Crown Court building is the one in the background,).

Jon